smithbrother

I LOVE MODIFIED CARS, and STOCK'S TOOOOOO, but.

With that said, here is how SOME purist rub me.

Genius:  I want to see the manager of the book department.

Purist:  Oh, there isn't one, Sir.

Genius:  Well, who looks after the pictures?

Purist:  That's done by machinery, Sir.

Genius:  Isn't there a clerk who an examine patents?

Purist:  Quite unnecessary, Sir.  EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE INVENTED HAS BEEN INVENTED.

Genius:  Well, I want to leave a novel, a picture, an idea.

Purist:  YOU must be rather OLD-FASHIONED, Sir.  All sorts of work is done, nowadays, by mental photography.

Genius:  Oh, I see, YOU don't want to see my works, YOU, know what's best for me/us.

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

Too deep for me and I am Liberal ! Wayne

Too deep for me and I am Liberal ! Wayne

Another non sequitur in a veritable cascade of them.  I fear it's contagious and is making my head hurt ... where's my tinfoil helmet?

He may be Shakespeare, but I disagree with his message ... or perhaps the other way round, depending on meteorological circumstances.

Confused, I am,

Grog

I believe he's trying to point out that purists want to stay in the past, and not realize that there are "improvements" to automobiles that have happened over the years.

That train of though totally misses the mind set of a true purist.

When we apply "purist" to an automobile collector, what we should be meaning is someone who wants to preserve the past for what it is, not what it could be.

A purist wants to experience cars as they were built, mechanical foibles and all.  A purist wants to have to tinker with his or her car, fixing this and adjusting that, as part of the fun and experience of owning and driving an old car.

A purist realizes that the automobiles were as reliable as they could be at the time, and that slow starting, hard steering, bad brakes, aren't always how it was, but how 50 or 80 or how many years of wear made it.  A purist knows that cars were very drivable back then, because they were "new" mechanically, and not worn out.

A purist enjoys all that, and if he wants something that drives like a new car, he buys a new car, and doesn't destroy history.

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly trimacar!!

I believe he's trying to point out that purists want to stay in the past, and not realize that there are "improvements" to automobiles that have happened over the years.

When we apply "purist" to an automobile collector, what we should be meaning is someone who wants to preserve the past for what it is, not what it could be.

A purist wants to experience cars as they were built, mechanical foibles and all. A purist wants to have to tinker with his or her car, fixing this and adjusting that, as part of the fun and experience of owning and driving an old

A purist realizes that the automobiles were as reliable as they could be at the time, and that slow starting, hard steering, bad brakes, aren't always how it was, but how 50 or 80 or how many years of wear made it. A purist knows that cars were very drivable back then, because they were "new" mechanically, and not worn out.

A purist enjoys all that, and if he wants something that drives like a new car, he buys a new car, and doesn't destroy history.

Very, very well said. I agree totally. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Oh, I agree with trimacar.

I was just havin a LAZY day, and after Mr. Earl said HAVE AT IT regarding STOCKERS and MODIFIES, I just had some fun. 

I love stock cars toooooo, but that quote is actually a quote from 1899 when talking about the patent office.   I added a bit to hit the Purist head on, 

Forgive me, life is a blast, I'm enjoying such as I approach my 80th.

The TRUTH is, and as you ALL know,  YOU DO KNOW DON'T YOU?, "It takes a real man to cut up a car".

And the fun goes on, and on, and on,

Dale in Indy

• Like 2

A purist wants to experience cars as they were built, mechanical foibles and all.  A purist wants to have to tinker with his or her car, fixing this and adjusting that, as part of the fun and experience of owning and driving an old car.

A purist realizes that the automobiles were as reliable as they could be at the time, and that slow starting, hard steering, bad brakes, aren't always how it was, but how 50 or 80 or how many years of wear made it.  A purist knows that cars were very drivable back then, because they were "new" mechanically, and not worn out.

Very well said.

I figured it was a stir the pot topic, just enough to raise the old blood pressure a few points.

It all boils down to individual perspectives.

I say never judge a person unless you have stood in their shoes.

I was just havin a LAZY day, and after Mr. Earl said HAVE AT IT regarding STOCKERS and MODIFIES, I just had some fun. 

I love stock cars toooooo, but that quote is actually a quote from 1899 when talking about the patent office.   I added a bit to hit the Purist head on, 

The TRUTH is, and as you ALL know,  YOU DO KNOW DON'T YOU?, "It takes a real man to cut up a car".

Dale in Indy

Amen, brother.

Life is good,

Grog

I love stock cars toooooo, but that quote is actually a quote from 1899 when talking about the patent office. I added a bit to hit the Purist head on,

The TRUTH is, and as you ALL know, YOU DO KNOW DON'T YOU?, "It takes a real man to cut up a car".

Dale in Indy

I think I understand, now.

It was the leap from cars to patents where I got lost

I still don't understand why "modifiers" think it is their mission in life to change the "purists'" way of thinking and vice versa. Back in the wild and wooly 1960's I believe I heard someone say "different strokes for different folks". I must however disagree that "it takes a real man to cut up a car". We do 95% restoration to original and 5% mods (currently doing our 3rd street rod in 36 years). Doing a restoration to original is much more difficult.

I still don't understand why "modifiers" think it is their mission in life to change the "purists'" way of thinking and vice versa. Back in the wild and wooly 1960's I believe I heard someone say "different strokes for different folks". I must however disagree that "it takes a real man to cut up a car". We do 95% restoration to original and 5% mods (currently doing our 3rd street rod in 36 years). Doing a restoration to original is much more difficult.

That's why they make Chocolate AND Vanilla.

Someone modifying a car, does not have to research what is "correct" .

So, that's one less monkey on thier back

Dale in Indy

Ah, shucks, Dale, you ruined it by splainen. :P

Ben

Those who stir the pot should be ready to lick the spoon when all is said and done.

Yep, my bride of 55 years makes lots of good stuff in a pot, and I'm there to lick the spoon, those that REALLY know me, know I kid hard, play hard, and do it all with a SMILE on my face.

Sure do love the site though,

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

I doubt it would be possible to "destroy history" as that would be to change the past. ???

OK, Jack M., point taken. 

How about "destroy historical accuracy".  Even restoration does that a lot of times, when things get chromed that never were originally, for example.

How about "destroy a link to the past".  A lot of European historical sites were destroyed by World Wars (and still are by current wars), to your point, that didn't destroy history, but it destroyed the relics and reminders of those historical periods, the things that allow us to better understand what people over the ages did and thought and had to deal with...

A perfect example is present day Iraq and Iran. The birthplaces of civilization, still inadequately researched and much of what remains is being systematically destroyed and to what end? My background and degree is in Archaeology and my heart aches at what is being done in the name of revolution.

• Like 2

I would be perfectly comfortable with modifieds if only they were executed with anything close to good taste. The vast majority of them simply look clownish to me.

• Like 1