Glue removal

Crazy4cruz

So I jumped head first this morning and ripped all of the old carpet out of my 65.  The new carpet form Clark's Corvair arrived this week so I figured what the heck. Let's go for it.  My question is what's the best way to remove all of the wonderful glue (and associated stuck on padding) that the previous owner sprayed all over the dirty floor?  Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

post-132753-0-18813400-1432502207_thumb.

Edited by Crazy4cruz (see edit history)

Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover and a fine scraper. It's hot enough to remove the glue but won't melt much else or kill you in the process. Wipe it on and let it sit for a minute, then scrap. It's available and overpriced at most auto parts stores. PRL

• 3 weeks later...

So a quick update and a BIG kudos to my wife.  The heat gun did a good job of burning off all of the old padding fibers that got stuck to the glue but was slow going on the glue itself.  We went to our local home improvement store to look at some adhesive removers and was also thinking about trying a sander to sand it off.  My wife noticed a brass wire brush that would attach to my drill and suggested we give that a try.  It was only $4 so figured it couldn't hurt.  Best decision ever.  That brush on my power drill ripped through that old glue and the rust and cleaned everything up fast.  Had enough time left over that I spent the rest of my Saturday ripping out the heater core that was the source of my ruined carpet in the first place.