1955 Buick Century upper dash removal

Guest Minispdrcr

Guest Minispdrcr

Why hello there. I searched and couldn't really find anything.

But how do you remove the upper portion of the dash? I got the trim, all bolts behind trim and all the screws from the front. Yet something is still holding on to it really strongly. I cannot figure out where the last screws or whatever it might be is still holding on to it.

Help?

Hi,

I did the same thing on my 55 Buick Special ( same dash ) and it was stuck do to dust etc .

There is a  screw at each of the dash , if they are out , take a screwdriver  and try to move it.

Also use your hand and hit near the center on top the dash.

Good luck,

Bill

Guest Minispdrcr

Bill. Is there one hidden behind the side windshield trim? Looked at it again and it looks like someone put a little weld on the corners between the upper portion and the one right below. I don't think that's supposed to be there right?

Edited by Minispdrcr (see edit history)

Guest Minispdrcr

In pic 2 ,the seam below the screwhole is the separation point.

I would use the screwdriver there with alittle pressure.

Pis 1 ,it should not be a weld joint. ?????

Bill

They both are welded with little beads on the corner. I will dremel them carefully. You can sort of see it on the first picture looks like it was ground dow.

Great , but I can't understand why it was welded in the first place ????

I repainted my dash top yesterday, it really looked great so I thought just one more coat

and it will be perfect ! Well , the top surface was dry but the underlying coats still  had moisture

and it lifted in some areas. I try again tomorrow and not be so picky .Bill

Guest Minispdrcr

Bill, that is a great question. I really have no idea as the dash had all its screws and bolts. 

I will be painting mine as well just to make it pop, or try buffing it at first. We shall see. Had to replace the amp gauge too in the cluster, thankfully I had a spare.