Front Emergency Brake Cable 1949 Styleline Australia.

Guest Judge65

Guest Judge65

Hello All ,

I am new to Chevrolets , well , ownership of them at least , and was wondering if anyone may know of where to get a new front handbrake cable for a 1949 Styleline Special Sedan ?. It is of mostly Canadian origin and was sold new here by General Motors Holden , so I am not too sure if it is the same braking system as U.S and Canadian Models , or it has an Australian hybrid set-up for RHD but I am having a heck of a hard time finding any reproduction cables for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John.

This is the sort of part you should be able to order from your local auto parts retailer. If they can't get one, they should have a Universal cable. This is a cable that fits any car, but must be cut to length and the cable end fitted.

A web search turned up a listing at Kanter's which suggests they are still available, at least in the US. Lots of other hits turn up but they are mostly for pickup trucks.

The same cable was used on millions of vehicles over a period of several years. It should not be hard to get.

Guest Judge65

Hello Rusty,

Thanks for the advice , I just sent off an email to Kanter , they do have one listed , with a generic photo . The remnant of my front cable has only part of the outer sheathing remaining , from the firewall to a bracket on the chassis . I rang a cable manufacturer over here who could make one , but I don`t even know and cannot find , what they looked like ...maybe I `ll get a Kanter one , and then get it replicated here as a spare . Meanwhile , I will have a look at how the cable  was attached at the lever end near the gearbox.

Thanks again,

John.

Lever end near the gearbox? US Chevrolets had a handle to the left of the steering wheel, under the instrument panel, a few inches from the side of the car. It pivoted up under the instrument panel and hung down.

If your car has a different arrangement it likely used a different cable.  It may have used a different cable in any case, being a right hand drive model.

Knowing where the anchors are at both ends, you should be able to make up a cable of the correct length.

I still think you should be able to buy one locally, or at least a universal type. Who can you get to replicate one? Do they not have the specifications?

Guest Judge65

I will have to get better at describing the car Rusty , the handbrake lever is as you would find it on a U.S car , to the left of the steering wheel  , but that puts the lever towards the

centre of the car . The cable exits the firewall roughly over the starter motor , then arcs out and then back onto a raised bracket on the RH chassis rail , then it would have been attached to a bracket down near the gearbox x member . The other lever I was talking about , travels in a slotted bracket and pivots off the chassis and has a circular clamp and wheel arrangement that I assume somehow terminated/adjusted the cable , probably a mirror image of the U.S / Canadian models at this point.

The cable blokes here don`t have any specifications for the cable , they needed me to send them a drawing and measurements . I am used to Mid-Fifties Fords and Holdens with simple threaded rod ends on the handbrake cable , I have never seen a handbrake set-up like this Chev has......have to get out more!

Regards,

John.

• 2 months later...