Noisy Lifter

DSpringer

After over 10 years of restoration, finally get to drive the 65 miles to GOF West to show it off. So I go out and fire it up to make sure it's still running smooth, and what do I hear but one stupid noisy lifter. I have the parts to replace valves, guides, and lifters, but I was going to wait until after the meet. Any tips on temporary oil treatments to silence this thing? I'm running Valvoline 20W-50 racing oil now and get about 25 psi at a cold idle but it goes down after warmup. The other project is putting in a Melling M15 pump that is on order.

Anyone else on the forum going to LZOC West?

Edited by DSpringer (see edit history)

Marvel Mystery Oil will clean varnish from the lifters and it may help. Add 1 qt to your oil and drive the car for at least 50 miles, drain and fill the engine with a good 10W-30 oil. The thinner oil works better in the hydraulic lifters. You will still have enough oil pressure to get the oil where it is needed with the 10W-30 oil. I would also add the recommended amount to the gas tank st that same time you add it to the oil. This will help clean the valve stems and free any sticky valves.  

I believe that you have good oil pressure for a 41 Zephyr and would have no problems with the 10W-30 oil and that a Melling oil pump is unnecessary.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

Dave,  I think the addition of some Marvel Mystery oil might be a good move. With only one lifter acting up it may just have a sticking check valve. After a few miles the lifter may "free" up. Your oil pressure is normal for a Zephyr with a few miles on it.  

Guest Bruce Nussman

I assume this is a hydraulic lifter. I have a 1941 LC that has been re powered with a 1960 Ford Y block 292 cu in. engine that had noisy lifters. Marvel mystery oil corrected the problem. For years each time oil is changed I add a quart of mystery motor oil and run it to next oil change.

My 1951 XK 120 Jaguar has a 302 Ford v8 and Marvel Mystery oil corrected noisy lifters.

Last year a car friend purchased a 1973 Cadillac with noisy lifters and Marvel Mystery oil worked after 50 miles.

Good Luck!

Bruce

Thanks, all, I'll definitely give Marvel Mystery Oil a try. I ran the engine at a high idle for about 15 minutes today and it quieted down. 

Bruce, I thought all the Y-block Fords had solid, adjustable lifters. I'm running a '57 272 in my boat, and it has solid lifters.

Guest Bruce Nussman

You are correct. The 1960 292 cu in engine has solid lifters. I run the marvel mystery oil because of the age of engine and supposedly it will lubricate where normal oil will not.

Bruce