Sign in to follow this  

Overland 59T Rear axle

I broke a rear axle on a tour recently and the broken axle destroyed the wheel bearing as well as the outer race. As the other side is worn also, I need to replace both sides. Does anybody know of a supplier for the roller bearing and the outer race? The seals I can make from felt. The car is a 1912 Overland 59T.

For most bearings all you need to do is get the number stamped into the bearings. In some cases, particularly the early ones, you need the numbers on both the bearing and the race. Take these numbers and the bearings (for measurement) to an industrial bearing supply shop and you may even find them in stock. Otherwise they can be ordered. I had to order the wheel bearings for my '11 Hudson - took about three days, but bearings for the transmission were in stock. Believe it that these bearing were one of the first automotive parts which were standardized.<P>Don't waste you time at an automotive parts house. The bearing shop normally will not even ask about the application. All they want is the number and if they cannot match the number can make measurements to find a replacement.<p>[This message has been edited by ronbarn (edited 03-30-2000).]

I put heavy modern ball bearings in the outer housings of my 1910 Overland and they work quite well. I got rid of the hyatt rollers after replacing two ring and pinions.<BR>I made two new axles out of 8630 "Hy Tuff" stock and they don't break or twist. I purchased the stock from Ryerson Steel. I don't know who carries it now. I believe that the rear end is a little different in the 1912.

Dear friends<P>Overland cars were quite common here in Finland in 1910´s. A friend of mine has two gauges (ammeter, voltage) which are manufactured by The Apple Electronic Co. in Dayton Ohio. Could them be from Overland?<P>Juha Kaitanen<BR>juhakai@wakkanet.fi<P>

The Differential is a little diffrent in the 1910 to the 1912 Overlands. The flange where the transmission bolts to is of diffrent size. Other than that they look the same. I cant remember witch one is bigger. <P>John,<BR>What model of Overland do you have? Mine is a model 42. We might have to talk about them.<P>Dan<BR>