Sign in to follow this  
Chasander

Jack Handle Pic

Would some one post a pic how jack handle  should mount on a 1963 Riviera Please.

Chuck

It is my understanding that the car was delivered with the jack handle lying loose on the trunk floor, lying

between the spring that holds the jack from rattling and the side panel cardboard. What a lot of people do is buy

a bicycle inner tube and cut pieces out of it, slide the pieces onto the shaft of the jack and then slide the jack handle

in between the rubber and the jack shaft.

• Like 1

Chas

As far as know Winston is correct. Do a search as there are some good pictures around of the correct set up. I need the spring but one day I will find one to make a copy out of heavy wire hopefully.

Glenn

On the early `63`s with the spare mounted on the trunk floor the factory illustration says "wedge the jack handle under the tire after tightening the wing nut" or something similar. I think it is reasonable to assume this practice continued after the spare was moved to under the package shelf.post-93333-0-42248800-1432163037_thumb.j

Tom Mooney

Thanks

I think I like the tube idea. The pic also shows me how to mount spring.

I bought a pair of springs at Lowes for a nominal price.  They were not black so I put a couple of nails on a block to stretch them a little bit and sprayed them flat black.  It looks enough like a NOS that I don't expect any comment on it when I take it to BCA meet in Springfield for judging next month. 

Edited by CBloomberg (see edit history)

Hey Tom, that's what I always did with my 64 and 65 so it wouldn't slide around in the trunk.  However, at a BCA show some years back I got dinged for the handle not being visible in the trunk of my 65.  So, for you guys who have your first gen Rivs judged at BCA events, don't forget to take it out from under the tire.  I learned a lesson!The factory finally installed a clip on the second generation.

Pat Curran

Pat, I'm showing at the BCA next month. I assume the judges will want to see the jack handle lying loose on the floor

on the far right hand side of the trunk, correct?

Hey Tom, that's what I always did with my 64 and 65 so it wouldn't slide around in the trunk.  However, at a BCA show some years back I got dinged for the handle not being visible in the trunk of my 65.  So, for you guys who have your first gen Rivs judged at BCA events, don't forget to take it out from under the tire.  I learned a lesson!The factory finally installed a clip on the second generation.

Pat Curran

Pat, It is possible to capture the jack handle under the spare and at least have a portion of it visible to the judges. Probably be a good idea to copy the image I posted, which appears in the FACTORY ASSEMBLY MANUAL , and display said image for the judges to see. Why not educate the judges while showing your car? Lol....

Tom

In subsequent shows I didn't take any chances.  I placed the handle to the right on the trunk floor next to the jack and had no more issues with the judges!!

I dealt with this issue as well with my '64, and found that there is an indentation in the floor of the trunk where apparently the handle was originally placed in the '63. I really don't know why but it hasn't budged from that spot in over two years (and I have driven over RR tracks, poor pavement, inclines, ect.) . Seems that the weight of the handle, combined with the fact that it is recessed somewhat in the trunk floor, helps to keep it in place pretty well....