1957 Oldsmobile and Buick Roof question

James B.

The 1957 Oldsmobile is one of my favorite designed cars.  Not because that is the year I was born but because of the unique roofline.  It is said that it was a misstep for Oldsmobile and Buick that adopted this 3-piece style rear window with customer complaints about visibility and aged looks.  In brochures, they only mention them as “twin strut” rear windows and Oldsmobile went as far as calling theirs “sky-line” but, did Buick ever name their version?  I have seen on Wikipedia someone calling them the “strato-roof” but was that ever official?  This comes from the 1954 Pontiac Strato Streak show car that had this rear window treatment.  Ironically Pontiac did not adopt this style.  A solid rear window was an option on some 1957 models.  The 1958 Vauxhall Cresta did pick up on this roof style while American GM dropped it.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by James B. (see edit history)

After I learned to drive at age 12, there was a 1957 Oldsmobile Coupe down the

street and a 1955 Ford convertible next door. My bother and I decided that if

we would Simonize cars for $10.00, we could drive these cars.

Unfortunately my older brother played the age card and I didn't get to drive

them, but I did get to caress them.

The family with the 57 Olds also had a 1950 Ford Convertible that every kid

in the neighborhood wanted.

It was 1957 and my brother bought a 1951 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible for $95.00.

time and prices change, but memories don't. I liked the Olds but realized

lusting after a new cars was wasting time, hence well over 100 used cars so far.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

In 1957 Plymouth's slogan was "Suddenly it's 1960!" They looked at the Buick rear window and said "Suddenly It's 1949!"

A cruel joke but not inaccurate. The divided rear window was last seen about that time.

I liked the cars, especially the 57 Olds. Wouldn't mind having one today.

Guest my3buicks

The 3 piece rear window was only on the Special & Century, the Roadmaster also had a version of it on some models but it was cosmetic and not actually three pieces.  I had a couple 57 Century's and never noticed a problem with rear visibility.  

FYI the only other GM car to get the top like the one RoadMaster has would be Cadillac. Interesting Olds 98 didn't get it.

Cadillac coupe de ville;

1957_Cadillac_Series_62_Coupe_For_Sale_R

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

FYI, Chevrolet and Pontiac will not get that roof like the above Cadillac/Buick until 1958

Chevrolet Impala;

1958_Chevrolet-Impala.jpg

And 1958 Bonneville;

2876862433_570f541d1c.jpg

Guest my3buicks

One of my past 57 Century's

Sorry, there was to be a picture but it wouldn't download, I think it was the wrong type -

I WOULD HAVE JUST ERAISED THIS POST,  BUT OF COURSE WE CAN NO LONGER REMOVE OUR OWN CONTENT THAT WE POSTED.   NOT ONE OF THE BETTER UPGRADES, TO ME THAT IS A DOWNGRADE.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

This post reminds me of the '63 split window Corvette.  Think of all the people who cut theirs and replaced the rear window with a one piece because of a visibility problem.

The 1957 Oldsmobile is one of my favorite designed cars.  Not because that is the year I was born but because of the unique roofline.  It is said that it was a misstep for Oldsmobile and Buick that adopted this 3-piece style rear window with customer complaints about visibility and aged looks.  In brochures, they only mention them as “twin strut” rear windows and Oldsmobile went as far as calling theirs “sky-line” but, did Buick ever name their version?  I have seen on Wikipedia someone calling them the “strato-roof” but was that ever official?  This comes from the 1954 Pontiac Strato Streak show car that had this rear window treatment.  Ironically Pontiac did not adopt this style.  A solid rear window was an option on some 1957 models.  The 1958 Vauxhall Cresta did pick up on this roof style while American GM dropped it.

Thanks

Jim

Interesting how Pontiac adapted and actually went backwards with the 54 Strato Streak show car. Pontiac and Chevrolet was already using a similar roof for their 53--54 hardtops.

1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina:

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/full/2010/501/pn1953catalina2dhardtop50134993.jpg