1931 Buick...Is it Safety Glass or Plate

midman

I am getting the 1931 96s Buick ready for painting and removed the door glass and roll up windshield. They look like they could be original glass. I'm guessing they are plate glass since there is no lamination that I can see. Does anyone know when "safety glass" became standard on Buicks?

Chuck

Regardless of authenticity, you should replace the plate glass with safety glass.  No club that I'm aware of takes points off for this "modification".  You REALLY don't want to be riding around in a car with plate glass.

Most everyone knows of the "nickel test" to see if it's safety glass, put a nickel coin against glass (perpendicular to glass surface) and see if there's a double image of the coin in the glass, that means safety....

• Like 1

Well, I'll be darned, learn something new every day. I tried the coin test and sure enough there is a double reflection on the glass. This car was "restored" in the early 60's so they must have done the glass then.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Like midman I have a 1931 Buick. The glass passes the nickel test as being safety but also like midman there is no lamination line like on the safety plate in my 39.

Does anyone have an idea on why there is no lamination line ? I just want to be sure it is safety glass as there are no markings on the glass.

The car has never been restored but that doesn't mean the glass wasn't swapped out.

Thanks

Dave

The Buick glass measures about 1/16 less in thickness than the 39 Chevy safety plate, about .210.

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. I suppose my question or point of concern is that there is no visible lamination on the edge of the  glass but when you use the nickel test I see two reflections.

I suppose it could be carefully finished old safety glass with some type of edge treatment that hides the laminations?

Anybody have any ideas, is the nickel test definitive?

Thanks

Dave

It may be the way I am conducting the test or I do not understand how it is supposed to look , but I don't trust the nickel double image test.

Every piece of glass I test shows two images. Plate glass from a 31 Cabriolet, the 31 Buick, the 39 Chevy, and even my 2006, 2500 with tempered glass.

Any thoughts on how to determine plate vs. safety other than breaking it? There are no imperfections. The glass in the Buick measures .210, the safety plate in the 39 Chevy measures .280.

Thanks for your ideas

Dave