Here are a couple pictures of my 29 130 So What does the Franklin family think

rustrodsrule

Hey, Why not. These cars are not worth a fortune. If you are having fun with the car I say have at it. You should bring it to the air cooled gathering in Hickory Corners!

I also agree! Take the roof off and it will go even faster!

• Like 1

Hey thanks guys for the comment's.  I am having fun with it.  I bought the car with the engine in box's it has been some what of a challenge getting it back together and running.  I have done all the work myself.  Keeps me out of the bars

Thanks again  Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Rusty, Don't get discouraged. There are not a ton of Franklin guys out there and even fewer who appreciate modifying one....but we are out there. I have gone from thinking about to planning to modify one of mine. While I am going the direction of re-styling the body into a replica of a factory offered body (sedan to cabriolet with a rumble seat is what I am thinking) it definitely IS a modification. If you have had fun and enjoy the car, that is what matters.

Rusty,

Just because there are only a few reply's doesn't mean that those looking agree or disagree with your project. They're just curious. I think it's a real shame that a car that's unrestored and maybe a little past a restoration project is held up to rot because someone thinks they have a treasure and won't get off an unrealistic price so someone can use and have fun with it. It makes no sense to put over a hundred grand into a car that when restored is only worth thirty. I think life's to short to worry about people with their heads stuck up in the sky (or somewhere else). Have fun with your car and as long as you keep it air cooled your welcome at our Franklin Treks. In fact if your not a member of the club, please join and give us the benefit of your presence. We've had several altered and modified Franklins. Just last year we had a hot rodded Franklin sporting open wheels, lowered and 3 dual Weber carbs. 

Bill

• Like 1

Rusty,

Just because there are only a few reply's doesn't mean that those looking agree or disagree with your project. They're just curious. I think it's a real shame that a car that's unrestored and maybe a little past a restoration project is held up to rot because someone thinks they have a treasure and won't get off an unrealistic price so someone can use and have fun with it. It makes no sense to put over a hundred grand into a car that when restored is only worth thirty. I think life's to short to worry about people with their heads stuck up in the sky (or somewhere else). Have fun with your car and as long as you keep it air cooled your welcome at our Franklin Treks. In fact if your not a member of the club, please join and give us the benefit of your presence. We've had several altered and modified Franklins. Just last year we had a hot rodded Franklin sporting open wheels, lowered and 3 dual Weber carbs. 

Bill

Bill,

I agree with you. There are many cars in the club that were altered so long ago that most people would know the difference if you showed them. I sold 1931 Dietrich Speedster (closed car) that now sports a aircooled V-12 made from many 6 cyl components. I know of 2 sedans that were cut in the back quarters and a convertible rear section was fabricated to make parade cars. There are several 145 sedans chopped and panels pounded to make Pursuits. How about the made  V12 sport touring in AZ? Its a wonderful car , but still a made up machine. There has been  a 153 sedan  that was modified to resemble a town car. There is a Model D roadster that started out as parts  form about 3 cars almost 50 years ago.. The list goes on and on. The bottom line is the owners did something with the cars and made  a vehicle that was special to them and put another car on the road. Its all good and I applaud anyone that gets off there laurels and fixes any old car. I personally have disassembled over a dozen Franklins to parts to get what I needed  and to get other cars on the road. The open wheel speedster you mention above came from my building where it was sitting as "knocked in head  147 sedan" and Mike made it over into a cool looking and running machine. Again it doesn't fill the bill for everyone , but that's why the store has chocolate  AND vanilla ice cream.