Buick 430 timing cover advice

Buick430

I have a used one, from a 1969 430, if you don't mind doing some cleaning and repainting. $25 plus postage.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

Hi, I'm interested, do you have any pictures? Mine is ok, but it's worn in the oil pump housing and some corrosion around the water ports.

Regards.

Thorbjørn

Norway

when  I did my timing chain, we had a heck of a time getting it off. Put the old one back and it leaked badly- seems even a little prying with a screwdriver created gaps in the surface where the cover met the block- obviously pretty high pressure.I bought a new one from OPG with the seal already installed for $500. In hindsight I should have taken it to a machine shop and had it ground down smooth.

Live and learn.

Rather than "grinding down smooth" per se (which might have also affected some other clearances inside of the cover, it could have been smoothed out and then some product (as JBWeld) could have been used to "fill in the low spots" and then filed down for a smooth and level sealing surface.  But you might also do similar things with a medium length 1" wide file (for getting "peaks" off of the sealing surface and otherwise prepping the surface to accept the JBWeld to fill in the "valley" area, and then "dressing it down level" to the surrounding surfaces after it's fully cured.  Then a little paint would finish the process. 

Key thing would be to get the surfaces completely clean before doing these things.  Engine degreaser followed with some quality brake cleaner might work well, or a "cold vat soak" at the machine shop (the soak might affect the installed seal, though) might be considerations.

Other than Summitt Racing, you might also check the Dorman Parts website and/or RockAuto.com.  Rock Auto to see what your aftermarket brand choices and prices might be.  Dorman started out with nuts/bolts/fasteners decades ago and has now branched out into other repair parts normally used by the automotive repair industry.  In MANY cases, using used OEM items can be the best choice, if possible, as long as they aren't "too used".

NTX5467