theastronaut

1940 Packard 120 Convertible Restoration

glad to see you are still at it. looks factory .

Been catching up on a few other projects around the shop but I'm back on the Packard now.  We've been finishing up our new paint room, the owner of the '55 International was in town a few weeks ago so he brought it back to have seatbelts installed, plus we started back on the Model T firetruck project.  

I've cut out 90% of the bracing, its no longer needed now that it can hold itself together again.  I did make bolt-in braces that mount in the door jambs since the body will have to come back off the frame later on.  

I also finished the lead work on the upper quarter panels. Got it in epoxy and today I'm skimming it with filler to smooth the file marks and get the shape 100%.  I'll get the other side finished after lunch and shoot more epoxy to seal it up.  

C2C5ECE2-E560-4C9F-8F15-B841CF50A553.jpg

62AAD630-1085-4A26-87AD-3153AE4DA130.jpg

This isn't going to be a "no bondo" restoration... but that's not a bad thing. Filler gets a bad reputation because it's been badly abused over the years, like some of the previous repairs on this car. Modern fillers are very stable, and I make sure that the metal is as straight as possible before I apply filler. It typically spreads on about 1/16" thick and 80-90% of it is sanded off. You can see how thin it is on this spot- the red epoxy is visible in spots. I feel more comfortable using a product that was meant to be used as a filler to get the body 100% straight than using repeated coats of high build primer to do the same thing. High build primers have solvents that have to evaporate out which can cause shrinkage if it's piled on too thick... body filler doesn't have that problem. 

CAB9B0D8-2100-4FAE-B9E1-F340683BE6EA.jpg

I finished making the driver side trunk pan and made corners for both the left and right sides.  

A41F474E-5774-4D83-9B2D-E8254F609795.jpg

Edited by theastronaut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Enjoyed your posting on restoring the body. Most impressive work. Are there any updates? Hope all is well and your absence is for something enjoyable.

(o[]o)

glad to see you are still at it. looks factory .any updates?

Unfortunately there won't be any updates, at least not any time soon.  The owner's budget was used up to get the car to this point, which he knew he didn't have enough to finish the project but at least wanted to start it.  He'll be saving up and selling one of his other collector cars to be able to eventually start back on the Packard.  

I've been busy on other projects since stopping on the Packard, one of which was my '63 VW Convertible that I finished last week.  I'll start a separate topic for the details on it. 

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

• Like 1

That was one of the best /or probably the best/ restoration threads I have ever seen! A pity that Photobucket ruined it with their payment changes. Is there any chance to upload the photos somewhere else, on Facebook or some photo archive? Even if not in the thread, but just gathered in an album, it was a really fantastic work, worth seeing and inspiring!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ted230 said:

That was one of the best /or probably the best/ restoration threads I have ever seen! A pity that Photobucket ruined it with their payment changes. Is there any chance to upload the photos somewhere else, on Facebook or some photo archive? Even if not in the thread, but just gathered in an album, it was a really fantastic work, worth seeing and inspiring!

It used to be that some website forums required a download from a service like Photobucket to the forum site.  Note sure why, possibly because uploads would be better controlled for size.  If the original poster still had the photos they could be uploaded directly to this site again.  The limitation might be the inability to edit the older posts.

I hate that it's happened, I've lost around 25 build threads like this one on various forums.  I cross post a lot, so it was easiest to use photobucket and copy/paste each update to the separate forums.   The best option for now, if you're able to download Google Chrome, is to add this extension to make photobucket pics work again.  This works automatically anywhere you may run across dead photobucket links. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

I also use this extension, the first one sometimes misses a few pics so running both I've had pics load 100%. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

If you're not able, I did post the Packard build on another forum with the pics uploaded directly to that forum, so they're still up.  Works to view them if you're on a mobile device or can't use the Chrome extension fix. 

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14811&forum=10

• Like 1

You can also add some extensions to Firefox that can unblock PB's lock on them. I've done that to both FF and Chrome.

I haven't used PB  for a while so I retrieved all my photos from them and cancelled my accounts.

• Like 1

I've switched to Imgur for now, but kept photobucket as all of my prior forum posts have pics from there.  Hopefully they'll come to their senses and offer a resonable solution instead of the $400 yearly fee. 

• Like 1

With all the posts with photos you've made you may have no choice but weather it out with PB. Hopefully Imgur won't get greedy.

BTW, the extensions work great and I can still see your photos.

I added an extension for Firefox as suggested by @Bleach and I can see all the photos except those since August 16 2016 (i.e. on this page). Thank you @Bleach for the tip!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the information about the Chrome extensions, they work perfectly and it is so nice to be able to see all of your inspiring work again!!