Antique car windscreen glass channel

Guest Al Brass

Guest Al Brass

Many American antique open cars, say pre 1920, used a very light brass ( later nickeled) channel to set the glass into the windscreen frame.  Once in place, this gave the appearance of a small round bead around the inner perimeter of the frames, inside and out.  I have never seen this channel available so I assume it is not being made as a reproduction item. Has anyone ever attempted to make or adapt something to do the job?  I am wondering if it might be possible to use brass wire and maybe urethane it into place to present the same effect. 

Regards and thanks

Al

Guest Al Brass

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding.  I can't tell whether the channel listed is similar to what I want or not (pic very poor to use for identification) .  I need it for my '15 Buick so it should be nickel for a start and I am picking the Snyder one is made specifically for T's.  Will do some research.

Regards

Al

Al,

I had the setting channel from my 12 Buick.  But it made the channel so thin, it would not allow the thicker tempered glass to be inserted. 

Many of us eliminate the setting channel in favor of installing tempered glass.

Guest Al Brass

Hi Mark,

The channel is usually omitted from restorations here too.  I like the look of the nickel against the black frame, it does look classy. 

I have cut and bent some 1/8" round brass and I'll take it to be nickeled tomorrow.  I will urethane it into place and visually, one will not be able to tell it is a fake.  If it was a T Ford, I could buy the stuff anywhere but not much in the way of repro parts are available for a Buick.  So very unfair !!! :angry:

Regards

Al

My experience has been that the original Model "T" Ford channel has the bead rolled  away from the glass. This leaves the correct spacing for the original thick glass. The only reproduced channel I have found has this bead rolled in toward the glass. Perhaps to reduce the gap for the narrower glass of the day. If I am incorrect please lnform me where to purchase this channel with the bead rolled out.

To look at the costs of "T" glass channel difference, look at the extra costs for the top half channel forming compared to the square cuts.

Al. I like your approach, while you cannot buy the correct item you need. You will go the extra step (and cost) to make it appear correct and as original. Bravo!