<td>638</td>

<td>JJ1</td>

<td>Yes</td>

<td>Yes</td>

</tr>

</table>

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Test, using different method.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><style>table {    border-collapse: collapse;}table, td, th {    border: 1px solid black;}</style></head><body><table style="undefined;table-layout: fixed; width: 763px"><colgroup><col style="width: 45px"><col style="width: 46px"><col style="width: 59px"><col style="width: 82px"><col style="width: 257px"><col style="width: 41px"><col style="width: 77px"><col style="width: 85px"><col style="width: 71px"></colgroup><tr><th>Style</th><th>Plant</th><th>Body #</th><th>Build Date</th><th>Build Date</th><th>Trim</th><th>Paint/Top</th><th>Vinyl Top?</th><th>Wildcat?</th></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>BC</td><td>9</td><td>09A</td><td>September (09) 1961, first week (A)</td><td>678</td><td>VC1</td><td>No</td><td>No</td></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>BC</td><td>280</td><td>11E</td><td>November (11) 1961, fifth week (E)</td><td>638</td><td>RR</td><td>No</td><td>No</td></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>BC</td><td>693</td><td>03B</td><td>March (03) 1962, second week ( B )</td><td>618</td><td>C TOP 1</td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>BC</td><td>1143</td><td>04C</td><td>April (04) 1962, third week (C)</td><td>628</td><td>V-TOP 1</td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>FB</td><td>2401</td><td>04C</td><td>April (04) 1962, third week (C)</td><td>628</td><td>XX1</td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr><tr><td>4647</td><td>FB</td><td>4121</td><td>07C</td><td>July (07) 1962, third week (C)</td><td>638</td><td>JJ1</td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr></table>

StylePlantBody #Build DateBuild DateTrimPaint/TopVinyl Top?Wildcat?
4647BC909ASeptember (09) 1961, first week (A)678VC1NoNo
4647BC28011ENovember (11) 1961, fifth week (E)638RRNoNo
4647BC69303BMarch (03) 1962, second week ( B )618C TOP 1YesYes
4647BC114304CApril (04) 1962, third week ©628V-TOP 1YesYes
4647FB240104CApril (04) 1962, third week ©628XX1YesYes
4647FB412107CJuly (07) 1962, third week ©638JJ1YesYes

Still doesn't work, even if I quote you.

Style Plant Body # Build Date Build Date Trim Paint/Top Vinyl Top? Wildcat? 4647 BC 9 09A September (09) 1961, first week (A) 678 VC1 No No 4647 BC 280 11E November (11) 1961, fifth week (E) 638 RR No No 4647 BC 693 03B March (03) 1962, second week ( B ) 618 C TOP 1 Yes Yes 4647 BC 1143 04C April (04) 1962, third week © 628 V-TOP 1 Yes Yes 4647 FB 2401 04C April (04) 1962, third week © 628 XX1 Yes Yes 4647 FB 4121 07C July (07) 1962, third week © 638 JJ1 Yes Yes

Sean,

In researching the issue this is what I get from the forum software:

"This will allow all members of the group to post pure HTML in forums that have the ability to accept raw HTML. You can turn this on and off for each forum via the edit forum settings function. Note: When HTML in posts in quoted by a member who does not have the permission to post HTML, the post will be shown in unparsed HTML format with most of the formatting removed.

Warning!
Allowing a member to post HTML is a very dangerous thing, you should not enable this functionality on any group that will use it maliciously. Although IPB tries to filter some of the more harmful content, it is NOT foolproof and this tag CAN be used to steal session cookies, redirect members and destroy the topic view layout.
IP.Board and Invision Power Services will not be held responsible for any misfortune that occurs from the usage of this tag.

Use it wisely!"

Basically they frown on using html in a post. Considering 99.9% of the users will never use HTML i think it prudent I not allow HTML.

​There reason I as able to is because Im an admin and have permissions. (didn't realize that initially)

Peter

So in the old forum software you could insert a table directly from the advanced editing window and didn't need to use HTML. In the new forum software the only way to insert a table is to use HTML, which you are not enabling.  So we have lost functionality?

Many of the posts I've made concerning Buick decoding contain tables to convey large amounts of information.  Those post are now essentially useless and I can no longer use tables.  If you aren't going to allow general users to use HTML to insert tables, can you promote me to a user level that can?

The above table on 1962 Buick Wildcat's is from this post, but I deleted the code:

Here are my other posts with tables (most of them anyways):

• 2 weeks later...

You can't attach an Excel document (.xls or .xlsx) and pasting as plain text removes all of the formatting, which is the whole point of using a table.  Attaching a Word (.doc but not .docx) or an RTF file seems to work, although I don't think this was allowed with the previous forum software, maybe something Peter just overlooked because attaching a Word document has the same security risks as attaching an Excel file.  Anyway, all of my Buick decoding tables are in Excel and won't convert easily to a Word document or an RTF file.  I could save them as a PDF and attach them that way, but sometimes it is just better to insert the information directly into the post because it is easier to read and it guarantees the information wont go missing.  If you look at some of the very early posts on this forum (say from the early 2000's) none of the attached files are able to be viewed.

Peter et al,

For security reasons, IP.Board requires three steps to enable a member to post HTML.

1) The specific forum itself has to be permissioned to allow HTML posting.

2) The member has to be a member of a group that is permissioned to post HTML.

3) The post itself has to be enabled for HTML posting via a checkbox in the posting screen (which is only visible if the forum where the post is being made has been permission for HTML).

As IPS warns, "Allowing a member to post HTML is a very dangerous thing, you should not enable this functionality on any group that will use it maliciously. Although IPB tries to filter some of the more harmful content, it is NOT foolproof and this tag CAN be used to steal session cookies, redirect members and destroy the topic view layout."

For this reason, I believe the majority of forums using IP.Board do not allow HTML posting by the membership at large. I certainly do not at my forum.

Back to posting tables, what will work in many instances is to covert the table to a screenshot, i.e. a JPG or PNG image file, and post the image. This works well until the tables get too large.

Edited by gwells (see edit history)

Regarding attachment types, here's the catch.

File types like .xls, .doc, docx, etc., are coded internally using proprietary file formats and IP.Board cannot display such files types automatically in posts because it does not contain the "translators" that would be needed to read them.

While you can indeed attach to your posts many different file types that viewers can download to their computers, unless they have software on their computers that can read or open the file format of the attachment, they won't be able to open/view the attachment.

As I mentioned in the post above, the best workaround seems to be to covert the files as displayed on your computer to images and to post the images, which will be shown within your posts in most cases.

Most of my tables are too large, so the screenshot method won't work.

Not sure exactly how it will work with initial thumbnails, but I know how to make it work with initial images like I use on my board.

If you would be willing to email me a large table or two, I'll do some testing: greg@slotblog.net.

Edited by gwells (see edit history)

Wondering why you have macros enabled in such a simple table...

Just showing you can, because you shouldn't be able to post a Word document because they might contain malicious macros.  I'm sure that is part of the reason you can't post xls, xlsx, xlsm, docx, and docm  files.

• 2 months later...