12 volt overdrive conversion for '48 V12 Lincoln

reatta vice

I did the 12 volt conversion on a 48 Packard and besides the resistors for the radio and gauges and switching to an alternator and 12 volt coil and bulbs I left everything else stock 6 volt including the relays and solenoids on the OD, drove it for over 10 years and never had a problem, OD would kick in and out real fast.

I took the solonoid apart and seperated the holding coil from the larger pick-up coil.  My logic was that the pick-up coil is heavy enough and is only operated for a short period of time and should handle 12 volts just fine.  I'm using a resistor with the holding  coil to limit current.  I also put a resistor on the relay on the fire wall, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.  Governor and kick down switches should handle 12 volts just fine.  Haven't got it running yet, but I think this should work.

Abe

Thank you both for your input. I will pass on your comments to my restoration guy who did the 12 volt conversion. He was not sure what exactly needed to be done. He thought the 6 volt positive ground solenoids need to be changed out to 12 volt negative ground but did not know where to obtain the correct 12 volt solenoids. 

Stuart

Solenoid won't care about polarity, positive or negative ground will work OK.  The later 56 on 12 solenoids won't fit, they have a shorter shaft, I tried.  The 42-48 solenoids seem to be a special unit, and hard to find, so be careful with yours.  The later 12 volt OD relays don't have the extra kickdown relays that you need to light the lamp in the speedometer when the OD is in.  I suppose you could use an external relay to switch the light. 

Abe