Participation (Driver's) Award???

Can anyone tell me if you have a car entered into this new class, do you receive an award (assuming it meets the requirements) like a HPOF class? IS this an 'award' like a HPOF type of thing or is there NO AWARD for this class if entered? I thanks you in advance for replying...Joe confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

Hi Joe! I just received a badge not unlike Junior/Senior badges to put on the front of my 56 Chevy, that I qualified at Richmond, Va.. They also sent me a chip/card (metal) to be mounted on a board. There are more details, but surfice it to say you do get something if the car qualifies. See there, it don't take a whole lot of work to get something in the AACA! grin.gif" border="0 Wayne

shocked.gif" border="0 Thanks for the update...I'm just a little confused as there is very little reference material on this new class on the web site and grateful someone provided me with some insight. I guess they 'judge' the car and 'qualify' it the class when it arrives on the show field. What are the requirements that would 'exclude' it from the class (not referencing the senior or junior judging stuff)? I guess the judging board looks over the car and what then? Do you need to pre-qualify it before you enter it into the class? confused.gif" border="0

A large number of the folks who can answer your question are participating the the Founders Tour and very few will have a computer with them. It will be over the end of this week so it may take some time for one of them to get back to you. Just have patience and you will get a reply.<BR>Patt smile.gif" border="0

1986, It's true about the big tour taking the guys away from the internet, but the rest of us can guess. I was told the car had to appear stock with no engine changes or modifications that are noticable.The word was mostly stock. Of course, that doesn't discount safety items like radial tires, seat belts and such being allowed. That's why I was worried about my "Cragar" wheels on the otherwise stock wagon. I hate early Chevy hubcaps! I still believe they are finetuning the class. There will probably be other changes next year. Wayne wink.gif" border="0

Oh, forgot! You don't prequalify. You just show up, after being preregistered of course, and park on the field. They want you around the car during judging to anwser any questions they might have. Hmmmmm, Maybe that's why my "mags" slipped by. I'm glad I wasn't beside my car in Richmond that day. " Hey Man, They look stock to me!!" grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Just infromation, I'm not trying to preach here. smile.gif" border="0 <BR>Sorry, frown.gif" border="0 but radial tires are not classified as safety items. Everyone claims them to be safer because of the way they handle on the road. If you have radial tires on any car that radial were NOT offered on FROM the FACTORY, they ARE a modification. <BR> smile.gif" border="0In the DCP Class they are expecting some slight modifcations like the tires because the cars in this class are driven more often, used on AACA Tours, etc. I don't think there should be any problems with the "crager" wheels as long as most of the rest of the car is stock. I think they are looking for probably about 90% of the car to appear stock. This is the class for that 8-track player under the dash wink.gif" border="0 .<p>[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: novaman ]

Guest my3buicks

I guess I will have to move my 67 to the driver class now since I have a Buick factory 8 track player hanging under the dash. wink.gif" border="0

Now, I'm TOTALLY confused regarding the Participation Award classification. I just entered two of my cars for the Hershey event alsong with a SSAE for a confirmation of the two classes. My check was cashed and I just received the 'confirmation' for only the HPOF, but not the Driver Participation classification I entered into...I do not believe the AACA has figured out what is going on here...I'm now TOTALLY confused and will try to contact them today and figure out what's going on. I see this as 'growing pains' for a new class, however, the class should not be opened to participation if the club can not make it clear as to what the entry requirements are and post them CLEARLY. Just my experience on my attempt to get into this classification...maybe it's all just a mistake and I'm over reacting? We'll see later today in the phone call to the AACA...

This is another instance where input from someone in a position of leadership within the AACA would be most helpful. <P>It has been my experience over the past many years that AACA has a habit of instituting new programs without adequately preparing for them or making the proper efforts to see that the membership is fully informed. frown.gif" border="0<P>Now perhaps, before MORE new programs are created, could our leaders possibly stop and catch us up on previous ones they have rushed into operation? <P>As usual, this is just my opinion.<P>~ hvs

Well, no one was available at the AACA POC on the confirmation letter I received, so I could only leave a message detailing my problem and hopefully get it resolved before the closure date. Why do I now feel that this problem will not be resolved by a phone call? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE entering their cars into this classification to send a SSAE with their application so at least you would know before hand if your car was rejected before they cash your check and exclude your car from the class at the same time. You would not know if your were excluded until you drove up on the show day (unless you picked your meet packet up the day before) and they did not 'have' you name on the list. Again, I sure hope this is all just a minor misunderstanding, however, I beleive the problems are more deeply routed as there was no mention of my other car's (1974 Bricklin SV1) application or acceptance into the DPC. I even wrote a note on the form that I would request it be placed into the 'normal' production classification if 'ineligible' for the DPC class and I'll forward the difference in $$ upon my receipt of the confimation. This was to no avail. I beleive the poor registration people are not aware of what the rules are either. Looks like I will be unable to take my Bricklin to the show this year as the deadline is closing fast and I do not expect a reply until after the deadline...we'll see...sure wish they would have fleshed it out better before 'opening' this class. I think a possible solution could be a 'live' registration for all classes via the web with email confirmation in addition to the snail mail version currently used...not that difficult in today's environment with computers and the guidelines could be posted. Maybe something for the AACA to consider in the future? It could be tied to your AACA number and car info if already in their computers. Again, just my thoughs based on MY EXPERIENCE to date. Sure hope I'm over reacting to a minor glitch... confused.gif" border="0

Update...sound like they just 'forgot' to post on the confirmation according to the phone call I just received. Apparently, DPC does not 'quality' for a confirmation notice...information everyone should be aware of. I;'m set for Hershey!!! tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0blush.gif" border="0