Safety glass?

Guest c.johnson

Guest c.johnson

My 1920 Oakland sedan has much of the original(amazing) glass - pits and all...<P>On the Judging form, it has a place to note the fire extinguisher(sp?) and safety glass. But I could not find a mention as to if safety glass is a requirement for authenticity, or is better left out for concern for safety.<P>thanks,<P>cj

cj<P>Cannot help you as to safety glass vs. plate, or...<P>But, as far as "Pits", I can offer my approach: "If you can see the flaw, the judge can see the flaw."<P>Sounds like you either must do more homework, or, maybe someone with more knowledge of Oaklands will chime in.<P>Regards, Peter J.

Except for the rear windows on tourings, roadsters and convertible type vehicles.<P>As an old glass man of MANY years experience in the trade, anybody who drives or rides in any vehicle without safety glass in ALL windows except as noted above, is a <B>DAMNED FOOL!</B>. shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 <P>HVS

• 2 weeks later...

It probably is.<P>Non scientific test: Tap the glass with the edge of a quarter. If it gives a dull somewhat muted sound, it is laminated safety glass. A more ringing sound will indicate plate glass.<P>To learn the different sounds in advance, use the same test on the windshield of your modern car. Then tap the curved rear window of the car. The windshield is laminated safety glass and the rear window is tempered float/plate glass. Even though it is tempered glass, it will give off a sound similar to the plain plate glass used in early cars. ~ hvs