Sign in to follow this  
petelempert

WTB-63 Gearshift indicator lens

Anybody got a nice one they want to sell? It's a one year only piece and no reproductions available that I can find. Took mine apart to clean it and the bottom half of the R decal fell off. S#$%! I was being as gentle as possible, but I guess nobody at Buick was thinking about fifty years later. It's right out there where I can see it and its sure to aggravate me. Let me know if you'd like to do a deal. Top $ paid for a pretty one. Thx PRL

Checked with Clarks'. Apparently the guy who was making the reproductions passed away and they are seeking another supplier. Bummer. So, I'll re-instate my query. Anybody got a nice one they want to sell? Let me k now. Thx PRL

Pete, I had an nos one and when I was reaching to take it off the shelf for you I dropped it and it broke in ten pieces.......

just kidding! Wow you are going through interior hell one piece at a time.....When I was looking for a 65 Riviera to buy

I turned down about 100 of them because it looked to me like the interior needed everything and I was thinking, where am I going to find those parts? The interior was always my main concern and after watching you go through this hell I realize I may have been on to something! I wish I had an nos one to give you!  Somebody out there please help Pete get his car finished up....His car is magnificent so far and deserves any nos parts you may have in your private stash!  Good luck Pete!

Hi Pete

Would one of those graphic places be able to make you a decal and then get a piece of glass cut to fit?  Just a thought.

The lens that Pete is asking for is made of a material that light transfers through it - sort of like fiber optics - and lights up the RNDLR letters. I don't know that a piece of glass will do that.

Ed

I have one in good shape 25 dollars delivered to you. Gene at abandg@aol.com Gene.

thank you sir.....you are the MAN!

Thanks to all my Riv brethren for responding to my plea. While the Rivowners site was down for repairs last week I was sort of out of communication so I decided to try and salvage my lens. I'm glad I did. First, I cleaned everything as gently as possible on both sides of the lens. VERY gentle, focused work. No beer drinking or cigar smoking allowed while performing this task, which was a big adjustment for me. Second, I repainted the missing half of the "R". Not easy, requires a lot of light, a very small detail brush, a steady hand and a magnifying glass. Third, I repainted the silver lines that divide the gear positions. Fourth, I gently polished the outward facing side of the lens with Novus 2 plexiglass polishing compound. The difference is significant. It looks a lot better to my eye. The only item untouched is the aqua paint along the leading edge of the lens. It is chipped and missing in a few sections, but is not visible once the assembly is put back together. I believe its function is to reflect light onto the selector. The whole assembly really works as a back lit design. Anyway, thanks for all your input and Gene for your offer to sell you part. I love fixing something that came on the car and can be restored after 50 years of hard use. PRL