Various

Guest HuevosRanchero

Guest HuevosRanchero

Got a set of fasteners from Barney. Many thanx

20150509_112837.jpg

20150509_112846.jpg

Found yet another vacuum line leak after the second 3 way connector located on the passenger side of the firewall. I capped the line going no where and idle improved. Still not as good as it should be.

Question is where does the skinny vacuum hard line go. I followed the line running beneath the inner passenger fender and stops about 3/4 of the way toward the front. Any help where this hard line ends up would be appreciated...I have no clue...haven't found a convenient other end to connect the dots.

20150509_115443.jpg

poking around and checked the MAF note I'm holding the cap onto the end of the housing covering the resistors. One of the alignment/mounting pins was broken off and the cap was just wallowing around inside the chamber. Tried glue but the heat caused a quick failure. Installed without the cap and another idle improvement occurred. I believe the IAC will account for the little bit of intermittent dive in idle I have left. Need to get a right angle phillips to access one of the screws on the IAC to verify...so I will replace the MAF and the IAC and expect resolution.

20150509_115307.jpg

Are you certain you have the correct MAF sensor? The ones I have used didn't have a cap like you are showing in your photo. Below is a photo of one I used. In the 2nd photo you can see the part number. Be sure your MAF has the rubber o-ring installed on it.

post-52331-143143108655_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143143108659_thumb.jpg

Guest HuevosRanchero

It appears the 1988 and 1991 are different...looked at both years on ebay (always a quick picture reference. ) Must another one of those 91 only parts. Maybe the cap design was some sort of protection enhancement or possibly a purposeful restriction?

Guest HuevosRanchero

WOW, looking a bit different around here  :lol:

Well I procured an right angle tool to get one of the screws of the ICV out. Cleaned up the pintle and spring and the cavity in the intake. Idle is very good now...not perfect but very good. Will probably get a quality MAF and ICV and put the originals away as backups. On to the next thing....Probably Parking brake.

Guest HuevosRanchero

Everything about the fuel system is bigger on the 91. MAF has a higher flow rating and is different.

Good to know.    In other news..,....the idle stutter returned last night and the car stalled .... A little frustrating...poked around and  noticed when the idle is stumbling if I pull the vacuum line off what I believe is the fuel pressure regulator...idle evens out and quickens up slightly...which may tie in to why the idle was better when i had a vacuum leak?  Will pursue this further after vacation.

Guest HuevosRanchero

upon further research it sounds like the regulator is working properly...pulling the vacuum increases the fuel pressure and so idle increases and more fuel is allowed, causing a rich condition although I didnt see any black smoke. Note also that under hard acceleration the car does fine so I dont think its starving for fuel. Perhaps cleaning the Idle control valve wasn't enough and its just operating erratically. Idles fine and then just doesn't without warning. Unless there is a more likely source I will probably try replacing the ICV first.