What causes the "Reatta sound"?

raleets

Not being a mechanic, or technically savvy, I'm curious as to what causes the throaty "Reatta sound". I've also heard some folks mention a Reatta sounds like a Grand National.

It's got to be more than just the muffler, right?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Ronnie,

I certainly didn't mean to imply MY '89 sounds like a Grand National. What I said was "some folks mention a Reatta sounds like a Grand National".

I'm just wondering what makes a Reatta sound like a Reatta. IMHO Reattas have a "distinct" sound all of their own.

It's also my concern that when it comes time to replace my muffler I won't be able to find something that sounds like a Reatta should sound.

Thanks,

I've not removed the catalytic converter from my Reatta but other cars that I removed the cat on had a throaty sound to them. Some of them were a little too throaty The cat being removed might account for some Reattas sounding like a Grand National.

Guest PontiacDude210

I've got a cat delete and a Camaro muffler on my sunroof coupe, and it has a bit of a throaty tone. Never owned or driven a Reatta with an original exhaust.

Guest my3buicks

I have had a few GM 3800 cars and I can't honestly say my 4 Reatta's have not had a noticeably different sound than my other 3800's. In fact a couple Pontiacs maybe had more of a bark.

Guest Corvanti

i also think it's the muffler causing the "throaty" sound. my '99 Firebird with a 3.8 had a good (for a V6) sound. others i had with a 3.8 were as quiet as my Reatta.

it's really a matter of taste. i prefer the louder sporty sound rather than the quiet original.:)

Yes same throaty sound on my car which still has the original exhaust. But my 1991 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo with the 3800 has the same sound. Even my 1991 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz with the Cadillac 4.9L has a similar growl.

These cars all have the original exhausts, wonder if it is the exhaust system. I like it, makes the car sound "powerful" and they are no slouches anyway, they move.

I also had a '98 LeSabre with the great 3800 engine that I bought used with 35,000K and sold in 2006 with 285,000K. It still ran great and didn't use a drop of oil, BUT it sure didn't sound like a Reatta! It was whisper quiet. No throaty sound like the Reatta.

So, go ahead, call me nuts, but IMHO there is just nothing to match that sweet "Reatta sound".

My 91 coupe has had no cat since before I purchased it. It definitiely sounds more aggressive in the exhaust than my 88's which still both have cats installed. Comparing it to my 91 vert, which has the factory cat, the drop top is slightly quieter (or seems to be).

91's got the retuned 3800 with a bit more output, and a larger exhaust, so maybe that explains some of the perceived difference on my part. The 88's are not what I would call quiet, though not GN grade exhaust tone either. Loud and low enough to be respectable, yet quiet enough to never be intrusive.

KDirk

Guest Richard D

My 90 coupe receives several questions a month about the exhaust growl, from is that a V8 to do you have a Grand National drive train. Nope, thats the way it came. Stock 3.8

Guest Dan Ogle

Wasn't aware that the Reatta had a throaty sound unless you put a after market muffler, or resonator on it.Had a 61 Corvair with dual pipes coming out of a resonator no muffler it sounded real good..

Guest Richard D

Padgett makes a good point, from inside the car its barely noticeable, when following or while idling and you walk behind the car sounds quite throaty, not annoying to me anyway.

My 90 Reatta still has the original exhaust and cat. I also had a 90 Riviera, same powertrain, and it was a quieter exhaust note on the Riv.

Manufacturers "tuned" and engineered the exhaust note for the kind of sound they thought the customer might enjoy. Same deal with lets

say a C4 era Corvette and a standard Impala or Caprice, and an Impala SS.