What Class for 66 230SL Mercedes

I've entered some local AACA shows and I'm curious about some of the classes.<P>One local show had a class for unrestored cars. My car is unrestored but there have been some repairs made that would also be done during a restoration. For example, the day I took delivery of the car I was rear-ended on the way home. Two months later after 5 weeks in a body shop, I hit a deer with it and ended up having the whole car painted. I've also replaced the power steering gearbox and had the seats rebuilt with new padding but using the original upholstery. Should I qualify as unrestored?<P>For national shows, what fits into class 25 Sports Vehicles? My car is a 1966 Mercedes Benz 230SL Roadster. Would I be in sport or in 27g for production vehicles?<P>This weekend I was strongly encouraged by one of the judges to join AACA and enter the car in a National Event.

That MB would be OK for the sports car class, however, you might want to put it in the Drivers Participation Class which was specifically designed for unrestored cars or cars, restored or not, which are primarily used for driving.<P>You will find National AACA meets quite different from most of the local meets. I encourage you to attend one of the judging schools and apprentice team to find out how we judge. Who knows? Maybe you might enjoy that part of the hobby as well. wink.gif" border="0