Hudsy Wudsy

GMs Homliest Car?

2013_nissan_juke_angularfront.jpg

This one should have been called the Puke,not Juke.  This is the most hedious thing I've ever laid eyes on!!!!

Granted the grill is way too busy, but I do like the color coded feature. I haven't seen anyone try to clean up an existing 42 grill, but a 46-48 looks great and can easily be added without a double take. It's not like most of the ugly 80s on up vehicles can simply be cleaned up with just changing the front. I'm not a huge fan of the general 60s Olds headlight and grill layouts either. 

This one should have been called the Puke,not Juke.  This is the most hedious thing I've ever laid eyes on!!!!

Then I guess you've never seen one of these

ami.jpg

Then I guess you've never seen one of these

ami.jpg

It's far better looking than the Puke

• Like 1

Ditto, it's way better looking than the Puke. It's so ugly that it's actually cute.

Citroen%20Ami%206%20Club%20front.jpg

• Like 1

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Sorta like arguing over who's uglier, The Elephant Man or Frankenstein's Monster.

Personally, I'd rather be seen in the Ami than the Juke, only because I've always favored the quirkier side of life. The Ami has soul, the Nisssan is a throw away car. As to which is uglier, I have to vote for the Frenchie. Additionally, I'd like to have an Aztek for the same reason. Imagine showing up, when they become eligible, at an AACA with a nice example, complete with the tent and all of the options. My cousin has one and she just got an NOS tent for it from Craigslist. She was so stoked.

Additionally, I'd like to have an Aztek for the same reason. Imagine showing up, when they become eligible, at an AACA with a nice example, complete with the tent and all of the options. 

By then people will like them as they do now the Edsel, although I've always like the Edsel.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Sorta like arguing over who's uglier, The Elephant Man or Frankenstein's Monster.

Personally, I'd rather be seen in the Ami than the Juke, only because I've always favored the quirkier side of life. The Ami has soul, the Nisssan is a throw away car. As to which is uglier, I have to vote for the Frenchie. Additionally, I'd like to have an Aztek for the same reason. Imagine showing up, when they become eligible, at an AACA with a nice example, complete with the tent and all of the options. My cousin has one and she just got an NOS tent for it from Craigslist. She was so stoked.

The Juke might grow on you especially when you discover that the 4 cylinder engine can get 30-35 MPG plus, drive the car up to 124 MPH and do a 92MPH quarter mile.

Thinking this topic over I think most of us have confused homeliness with ugliness. They are not necessarily the same thing. Plain does not mean ugly. Therefore my new pick would have to be the 1921 Olds car/truck of the Beverly Hillbillies. Now that truck looks more like a car to me than any of the SUV's mentioned if someone wants to get technical a SUV is not a car either. That aside, the image of the Clampett's driving along with everything they own hanging on that Oldsmobile is the epitome of homeliness........EXCEPT Elly May of course!

FYI, hard to believe she died this past January.

The first generation U-body vans are called the 'Dustbuster'.

Bingo, Craig!

I've also heard them referred to as "Devil vans" due to the configuration of the taillights.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Just another regret" __ All-American Rejects __ 'Dirty Little Secret'

Thinking this topic over I think most of us have confused homeliness with ugliness. They are not necessarily the same thing. Plain does not mean ugly. Therefore my new pick would have to be the 1921 Olds car/truck of the Beverly Hillbillies. Now that truck looks more like a car to me than any of the SUV's mentioned if someone wants to get technical a SUV is not a car either. That aside, the image of the Clampett's driving along with everything they own hanging on that Oldsmobile is the epitome of homeliness........EXCEPT Elly May of course!

FYI, hard to believe she died this past January.

[/quote

helfen, there once was a discussion about how ugly, or not ugly (depending upon your point of view), the Toyota Scion was. I mentioned that I thought it was "homely/cute" (perhaps as one might describe a mutt). A surprising number of folks simply couldn't wrap their head around that concept, believing that it was too oxymoronic to have any meaning.

• Like 1

helfen, there once was a discussion about how ugly, or not ugly (depending upon your point of view), the Toyota Scion was. I mentioned that I thought it was "homely/cute" (perhaps as one might describe a mutt). A surprising number of folks simply couldn't wrap their head around that concept, believing that it was too oxymoronic to have any meaning.

Cars, such as the Nissan Juke, Cube, Scion Xi are intentionally designed to appeal to those who want to make a statement, and not be reminded of their parents' car every time they get inside it.  Nissan/Renault and Toyota NEVER expect them to be 'million-sellers' and target them to that minority who actually appreciate them.  Among their targets are college/university students who want an economical car to drive everyday, while not looking like a 'mom & dad's' car.  Remember, these 'to us, 'quirky' designs were no doubt designed in Nissan and Toyota's California studios here in the good ol' USA. 

Craig

Cars, such as the Nissan Juke, Cube, Scion Xi are intentionally designed to appeal to those who want to make a statement, and not be reminded of their parents' car every time they get inside it.  Nissan/Renault and Toyota NEVER expect them to be 'million-sellers' and target them to that minority who actually appreciate them.  Among their targets are college/university students who want an economical car to drive everyday, while not looking like a 'mom & dad's' car.  Remember, these 'to us, 'quirky' designs were no doubt designed in Nissan and Toyota's California studios here in the good ol' USA. 

Craig

That makes perfect sense to me.

Craig

Most of us know those facts, but we seem to be talking about cars that are off topic and that's why I thought the old Oldsmobile of Jed Clampett's is not only a GM car (which relates to the topic question as well), but the way it's dressed up is certainly the epitome of homeliness. PM me Craig if you want to know more about Juke type of decisions.

Most of us know those facts, but we seem to be talking about cars that are off topic and that's why I thought the old Oldsmobile of Jed Clampett's is not only a GM car (which relates to the topic question as well), but the way it's dressed up is certainly the epitome of homeliness.

Then that wave of mid to late '70's GM A & B body cars 'dressed up in drag' are qualifiers to the throne of homliness.   These include, but probably not limited to, 'Custom Cloud' and Stutz derivatives.

Craig

Then that wave of mid to late '70's GM A & B body cars 'dressed up in drag' are qualifiers to the throne of homliness.   These include, but probably not limited to, 'Custom Cloud' and Stutz derivatives.

Craig

This proves you can always make something ugly even uglier.

Btw, it seems the overwhelming consensus that the Aztek is by far the ugliest thing on wheels to come out of a factory. The Aztek comes up in almost every search of ugly cars on the internet.

I must be missing something here. GM's Cadillac division pulled the very meaning of butt-ugly out of their hats when they offered that Biarritz which looked like a large picnic ant pulling an injured rear segment along behind it.  In my opinion, it wins the poll here. I have seen this car dressed up with wire wheels and continental kits in order to try to make it more attractive.  The effort pretty much failed, substituting cheap glitz for bad design. Perry

When I started this thread, I chose to use the word "homely" and not "ugly". It's funny to me, though, that so many guys simply can't differentiate between the two words. Personally, I think the Aztec is ugly, but it's just my opinion. I also think that the '42 Olds, especially in any two door version, is particularly handsome, despite it's laughable front end. Many of those '40s GM bodies have always struck me as quite beautiful. After all, the front end is really just one aspect of it, so I wouldn't let that amusing design mistake keep me from owning one.

From Google:

http://www.rmauctions.com/images/cars/AZ08/AZ08_r153_1.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4043/4452893097_be146889e8_z.jpg

The Juke might grow on you especially when you discover that the 4 cylinder engine can get 30-35 MPG plus, drive the car up to 124 MPH and do a 92MPH quarter mile.

I can't see how that changes the looks....................

When I started this thread, I chose to use the word "homely" and not "ugly". It's funny to me, though, that so many guys simply can't differentiate between the two words. 

Is there a difference between a homely girl and an ugly girl?

On date night they both stay at home so it must mean the same thing.

I can't see how that changes the looks....................

It's still ugly and there's nothing that will make want to drive one.

I'd rather drive a good looking car that gets poor gas mileage than one that's ugly and performs well.

Something so ugly will only grow on me like a wart except the wart still seems more attractive and won't cost $30K.

Of course there is. Anyone who doesn't see the difference between the two adjectives, homely and ugly, has a vocabulary that is sorely lacking any nuance whatsoever.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

home·ly

ˈhōmlē/

adjective

adjective: homely; comparative adjective: homelier; superlative adjective: homeliest

1. 1.

North American

(of a person) unattractive in appearance.

synonyms:

unattractive, plain, unprepossessing, unlovely, ill-favored, ugly;

informalnot much to look at

"she's rather homely"

antonyms:

attractive

2. 2.

British

(of a place or surroundings) simple but cozy and comfortable, as in one's own home.

"a modern hotel with a homely atmosphere"

Of course there is. Anyone who doesn't see the difference between the two adjectives, homely and ugly, has a vocabulary that is sorely lacking any nuance whatsoever.

I guess they don't get it.

Ugly;unattractive, unappealing, unpleasant, hideous, unlovely, unprepossessing, unsightly, horrible, frightful, awful, ghastly, vile, revolting, repellent, repulsive, repugnant;

Plain; simple, ordinary, unadorned, unembellished, unornamented, unostentatious, unfussy, basic, modest, unsophisticated, without frills, homespun, this is where the homely comes from.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)