Headliner is a problem

waltmail

My headliner base in the '89 is cracking, crumbling and deteriorating. It seems to be , originally very fragile construction, as in cheap. I have the sun roof to deal with. Anyone have any ideas for something, epoxy like, I can spray it with to firm it up.

The headliner shell is pressed fiberglass (not the hard kind like used on boats, the soft kind like attic insulation) and yes, it is a poor design from a durability standpoint. Best reccomendation would be to get a fiberglass repair kit (resin and fiberglass mat that can be cut to cover badly damaged areas) at an auto parts store and use that to make repairs. It is messy but will be the strongest repair.

I will say that you will want to let it outgas for a few days at least before putting it in the car, or the smell will get to be a bit much. Made this mistake myself. Hopefully you aren't rushed to reinstall it.

KDirk

The headliner shell is pressed fiberglass (not the hard kind like used on boats, the soft kind like attic insulation) and yes, it is a poor design from a durability standpoint. Best reccomendation would be to get a fiberglass repair kit (resin and fiberglass mat that can be cut to cover badly damaged areas) at an auto parts store and use that to make repairs. It is messy but will be the strongest repair.

I will say that you will want to let it outgas for a few days at least before putting it in the car, or the smell will get to be a bit much. Made this mistake myself. Hopefully you aren't rushed to reinstall it.

KDirk

That was one of my thoughts and what I will probably go with. Thanks.

I have repaired at least two using a fiberglass kit. You will probably need both the resin and some mat. The area around the sunvisors is often damaged, so you can lay some fresh glass there. Before recovering, drill the holes for the sunvisor screws, that makes it easier when you do the reinstall. If there are weak areas along the edges or around the sunroof opening, just a coating of resin may be enough to make it work.

Off to the marine store.

Whoa. Sticker shock. $ 70.00 for a quart + activator + mat at BOW. Went to Finishmaster Auto Paint Supply and got a whole gallon (which I will never use) activator, 8 sq ft of mat, mixing sticks and brushes = $47.00.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

I Have a few good ones! Bare and covered. Shipping is the main problem' date=' due to size and packaging requirements. The sunroof hole can be cut into a coupe headliner shell, use yours as the hole pattern and cut it smaller, increase as needed to fit.[/quote']

On factory sunroof headliners there is an extra hump for the motor assembly. I don't think they will work interchangeably. With an aftermarket roof perhaps, but not with factory.