Brake job on 1929 Model 135

RansomEli

It's time to do some maintenance on my '29 135 sedan. I've only had the car a year and need to completely check out the braking system. The brake pedal is spongy.

Checked out the Franklin Club website and found a source for brake lines and fittings. There's also a helpful blurb and where to find brake hoses and wheel cylinders, but it applies only to 1930-34 models.

Need some info on where to find parts or who can rebuild my master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

Thanks in advance. I don't have these problems on my 1921 9B.

If you go to your local napa store and ask for number 695 wheel cylinder they have them,Mine had them in stock.The master will have to be rebuilt .there are many sources in hemmings A lot of people use white post restorations.I have a 29 130 and i think they would be the same brake parts.

Thanks, everyone, including those who responded privately.

The 1928-29 box style master cylinder can be tricky. The actual cylinder has a very thin wall and is not easy to remove to sleeve. When assembled, it has to index properly. Brian Joseph sells a kit with a new piston. Pistons are not available from any other source. Brian also offers rebuilding service. I've known Brian for 20 + years. He runs a first class business- not cheap, but done right once.

Brian also has King Seely gas gauge parts and other items that fit our cars.

His website is:

Www.classicandexotic.com

Good luck!

tom

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update -

Jeff Hasslen reminded me that he has the parts for the 1928/29 boxes. Jeff supplies Brian Joseph with some of the parts Brian sells. It's best to try Jeff 1st for Franklin brake cylinders, master cylinder parts & hoses as he typically has them in stock, including the 1-3/8" oversized front wheel cylinders for better braking. Jeff can answer questions related to Franklin hydraulics as well. Brake & Equipment Warehouse in Mpls does the sleeving for Jeff and me.

tom

Thanks for the update, Tom. As usual, terrific advice. 

I can't tell how valuable you and the other Franklin angels are to those of us trying to keep their cars running. 

I like the club and the people in it.