Fuel Pump Heat Shield for '41 Chrysler Straight 8

My '41 Saratoga didn't have a heat shield between the fuel pump and the exhaust manifold, and I'm not sure where I would find one. I've called around to a few places, but it seems like a pretty scarce NOS part. I'm not averse to making one, but I'm not even sure what it looks like, what gauge (or type) metal it was, or even where it mounts.

Would anyone have any ideas or pictures? Thanks in advance!

Dave

It is surprisingly hard to find a picture of an engine with the heat shield on it. But, here is a catalog illustration of different heat shields. Scroll down to page 4.

https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pdf/parts/03fuel.pdf

It is just a piece of sheet metal bent into a J shape. There is an ear at the front that goes under the manifold bolt. On top of the fuel pump, there is an extra long bolt that goes high enough to support the other end. This is actually one of the bolts that holds the top of the pump on, but very long.

The thickness of the metal is not critical. It seems to be about 20 gauge steel in other words, body sheet metal. Anything strong enough not to get bent. I think aluminum might disperse the heat better but the originals are steel.

If you want to make one I can go out to the garage and measure one but, the measurements are not critical either. I only have one for a six, your eight might be slightly different.

You could also put a piece of aluminum about a foot square between the carburetor and manifold to shield from the manifold heat. I have seen cars that had this but not Chryslers.

In the old days heat shields may not have been necessary but today's gas is different. I'm not sure you need to worry in Massachusetts as compared to say Arizona. But maybe on a real hot summer day.

Honestly, you guys are amazing. That is a huge help - thanks so much!

Joe, I didn't get an email, but I have some 18 gauge steel, and a cheap planishing hammer, so I can probably knock something out. I don't want to put in a mechanical pump without putting a heat shield in. Even though we don't generally get long stretches of heat, I've had a couple of issues with vapor lock on days over 80 - especially with stop and start driving.

Bob, you should put together a visual reference guide for these old cars. Those pictures tell the whole story :-)

Thanks again, guys!

Dave

. . . but I have some 18 gauge steel, and a cheap planishing hammer, so I can probably knock something out. . .

I used a bench vise and some pipe to make one for my L-6. I'm no sheet metal worker but it was pretty easy.

Some pics of chrysler factory eight heat shields.....

Interesting that it uses three of the long stand off screw/bolts and does not have the tab to hook onto the exhaust manifold.

1946-50 chrysler straight eight fuel pumps are positioned pretty low so the shield couldn't easily reach up the the manifolds for another attachment point.

I think the 1941-42 engines use the same shield.

I take pics of all the cars I work on just to help ya all!

Bob

Dave....Absolutely no rattling or vibration from the heat shield.

The three studs are quite rigid and the shield is of sufficiet thickness and won't stress crack. All my eight cylinder cars have the shields and never any noise or issues. The shield does not rub against the block but looks close.

Bob