tire tread design

can anybody let me know how to design tire tread?i mean what is the depth in the tread and is the depth formulated or just an emperical calculation?<BR>please do email me at this address<BR>mrmanju@yahoo.com<BR>thanks.

Mavin,<P> Rule #1 in Design: new designs ALWAYS evolve from what is presently known. I suggest you sit down and study, measure, probe etc. a few tires of various tread designs and evaluate their merits and shortcomings. The direct answer to one of your questions is tread depth is typically about 3/8" with the sipes seldom much more than half that depth.<P> We didn't get to the Moon by suddenly inventing or discovering previously unknown concepts. We evolved, using what we already knew as a basis for our new space vehicles.<P> Tom

• 2 weeks later...

tread is based upon what the tire has to do. smooth tires are great for traction on a dry surface poor on wet. knobbies & snow tires are great for the dirt & snow, but have a noise problems on a dry surface. All seasion tires try to find a happy medium between the two , have to have groves to allow the water a place to escape to prevent hydroplaneing. and the size and shape of the knobs determine the traction in snow, as well as the tire compounds used to make the tire, softer (stickie) used in high preformance, great traction, but they wear out very quick. just my 2 cents. rolleyes.gif" border="0