66 chevelle malibu 2 speed powerglide

Guest johnny53

Guest johnny53

OK I feel stupid asking this question but here it goes.I bought a 66 chevelle last year.It is a colume shift car.decided to put a auto floor shifter in it.I need to know if anyone know where I can get a diagram or tell me what position the linkage is on the tranny to make sure which gears are which gears.meaning im not sure where park is on the tranny.can anyone give me some info opictures of the positions the linkage is in for park reverse neutral drive one and 2.Thanks John

Guest johnny53
Why?

Because when I took the body off the frame because the frame needed some welding I thought but not sure that I unhooked the shifter in park.facing the linkage the linkage was in the 7 oclock position.for park that I remember.when I bought a floor shifter it shows hooking it up in the park position.But the diagram show the park position at 11 oclock.so I was wondering if there was a diagram that showed from a side view where the linkage is when it in park reverse nuetrl drive 1 and 2.

Guest Bob Call

I meant why the floor shifter. Are you trying to clone a SS trim car? If, not what is the point?

Guest johnny53
I meant why the floor shifter. Are you trying to clone a SS trim car? If, not what is the point?

Listen im just looking for help.You want to know my lifes history too?I asked a simple question .I did not expect my question to be answered with questions.Does it really matter to you weather I put in a automatic floor shifter?:confused: If you can't help me then don't answer with questions

Guest Bob Call

Don't get so defensive Johnny. I was just trying to understand why you just don't reconnect to original shift lever, simple task and simple question. If you want to do the floor shifter because it will look cool, OK with me. To answer your question, if you buy a good quality shifter it will have installation instructions with it.

The weather here is nice and sunny about 75 degrees, but, that doesn't really matter.

Guest johnny53
Don't get so defensive Johnny. I was just trying to understand why you just don't reconnect to original shift lever, simple task and simple question. If you want to do the floor shifter because it will look cool, OK with me. To answer your question, if you buy a good quality shifter it will have installation instructions with it.

The weather here is nice and sunny about 75 degrees, but, that doesn't really matter.

Listen bob im not trying to get defensive.But I asked a question.It was very simply.You ak why?.I bought and American shifter last year.I installed it.But the instructions showed that park was in like A 10 OR 11 OCLOCK POSITION.my linkage was in a 7 oclock position.I called the company they said I had to take the pan off and reposition the linkage I did not feel comfortable doing that.I fabricated a piece welded it to it.It shifts ok.i just wanted to make sure where park was before I put the harness and everything back together to make sure im in park and not totally backwards that's all

Guest Bob Call

Johnny

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you. I just thought that if I asked a few questions I might be able to give you some advice that would help.

Now, if when I got the shifter installed and it didn't shift like I thought it should and in a call to the company they tell me that I have to drop the pan and make adjustments to the internal linkage, that would have set off alarms that the product was not properly designed and I would have asked for my money back. A properly designed shifter should when installed per the instructions not require any internal adjustments to the trans. I can understand maybe some change to the external shift lever but nothing internal.

Adjust your attitude, dude. Good luck in getting things working properly.

• 2 weeks later...

johnny53 I agree with you.  You asked a simple question it is too bad someone didn't just answer it.  You see people come in on a board and ask something like "who makes the best single stage black paint?" and instead of getting their question answered fifteen know-it-alls chime in telling them they don't want single stage, or they should paint their car red, or why did they buy a car that needed paint in the first place, or which gun to but or tip to shoot with, blah, blah, blah.

If you want to put a floor shift in your car go for it!

• Like 1