Sign in to follow this  
Regalization

Cargirl has the rare 1991 RPO N60

I am excited to say that Cargirl (Brenda) here on this site has one of the convertibles!

Cargirl has one of the convertibles with the Flame Red interior and the N60 white wheels. That’s a rare one, Brenda!

Edited by Regalization (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Not only rare but a striking combo

post-32549-143143101043_thumb.jpgYour my new hero Robert! I was looking for this information when I got the car and I thought it was unobtainable. I guess it's the same for people who love statistics in Baseball, I just love knowing this sort of information for my cars. I can only imagine only Reatta insiders ordered this option. The '91 wheels were very striking and adding a wheel color would certainly be avoided by many. When I take my car to the Saturday night show and shines so many people ask me about the wheels on my Regatta. LOL Oldsmobile had color matching SSII rims in the 1970's and I thought they were terrific-timeless. Thanks for the info, the Reatta forum rules! Edited by Cargirl (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Pontiac did a lot of body colored wheels of various models in that time frame. I remember the Sunbird had a white wheel option with the white interior, I never thought the white wheels looked good on most of the colors. With the Reatta's limited production overall it make scarcer options far higher in percentage than many other rare options on extremely higher production models. Regardless, it was a fantastic look.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Cargirl, have I mentioned your Reatta is one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen? That combo is a startling look. Your vert and M3B's vert are on the list of the coolest looking Reattas I've ever seen... and that list is only about 5 Reattas long.

I wonder what happened to ManikMechanic and his black\flame red vert. He always said it was the last black vert off the line.

Manikmakanik has throat cancer. I haven't talked to him in about a year.

Guest my3buicks

black and flame red is SO sharp

Keith's right; flame red and black exterior are one of my favorites.

I had a '64 black, red lipstick interior coup de ville convertible awhile back and a '68 white, lipstick red interior Eldorado (another great combo). Sorry (now) that I sold them.

The white wheels were available as replacement parts (and white hub caps) there is always the possibility that a customer wanted them and the dealer installed the wheels after it left Lansing.

In judging Buicks....and Reattas, if the part, color, option was available, the owner can have it on the car without points penalty. Having the window sticker helps with originality.

I have white wheels on my Reatta convertible 900552 but they did not come on the car.

It is nice that Robert digging into the production numbers...... I hope he does not find a 1991 Polo Green convertible.

Guest my3buicks

I assume Barney that judging rule would only pertain to being put on 91 white cars and not any other color

What would make you think that someone who has been on this forum for 1 month with a total of 20 posts should take over management of a database that Barney Eaton has maintained for years? That's more years than I have been on this forum. As far as I know he is the OWNER who started the database and he has been on this forum since 1999 and has over 8000 posts. If that doesn't qualify him to be the "keeper of the database" nothing does. I would be more than happy to host HIS database on my website but it would be with his permission only. To take a database that he has compiled and make a twin out of it would be a copyright violation in my opinion. Just because someone mines out a flake of gold from Barney's database doesn't mean he should take over the database.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

My 1991 White with Flame Red interior (900183) didn't come with white wheels. I bought 4 extras from Marck, had them painted white, and installed them...see pic.

Well, that's sad news. He helped me out a lot back when I had my first Reatta. Good guy.

For the record, I have the original window sticker and build sheet and indeed the car came from Lansing with the white wheels. My VIN ends with 0551 and that is one of the cars Robert listed as a white convertible with flame red interior with factory white wheels. Indeed, mine is one of seven. I feel extremely fortunate to have the car, she will lead a very pampered life. :) I will be at the all GM Car Show in California on the 17th of this month if anyone can make it, would love to actually meet some people from this forum!

Barney Eaton is our man for the database. I have no intention of usurping anyone's work here.

I like GM products. I have a soft spot not only for Reattas, but also Allantes, Corvettes, XLRs, and Camaros. I enjoy being a car enthusiast. I like passing on little tidbits of information. Some people might scoff at such triviality, but, to me, it makes the hobby interesting. It is a great hobby we have chosen.

I am a rookie to this site, and accept my rookie status, but I do know quite a bit about late 1980s and early 1990s GM production, what codes they used, etc. My main interest is color - both exterior and interior colors, actually, anything with a glob of paint on it. I especially like the fantastic bright and bold exterior paint colors used in the late 1960s and early 1970s!

We are in this together. I do not want the passage of time to erode the happy specifics of our chosen hobby. The more hidden information we dig up, the more satisfying it is to own our car.

Robert is not mining information from the database. He is using another source, which I believe is Compnine. that is a subscription site and I am not a subscriber.

Years ago (1999), Stan Leslie did a similar exercise using Carfax. I know that Stan spent many hours on Carfax looking for and finding Reatta data and facts.

Stan (a 1991 owner and GM Powertrain engineer at the time) also looked thru weeks of Automotive News, a trade magazine, putting together a list for 1991 Reatta production.

His finding were quite interesting.

post-30596-143143102865_thumb.jpg

I hope it is readable... first note that 1991 Reatta production did not begin until the week after Thanksgiving in 1990. By Detroit standards, that is a way late start for a model year. The reason was many unsold 1990 cars on the dealers lots. Then on Dec 24 (the dates show are a Saturday) the plant was shut down for 6 weeks. I have heard several stories or reasons for the shutdown.

Also remember by this time Buick management had made or was making the decision to stop production of the Reatta.

Most of the 1991 Reatta convertible production was crammed the 6 week in Feb and March. The last convertible was built on March 7 '91.

Manickmechanic was a regular here for several year and we communicated several times about his convertible. His claim was it was the last black/red convertible remaining. Up until about the 2009 GM sale that thinned the car collection, GM still had 900622 which was black/red and the last convertible built.

My records show there were 7 Black/red convertibles built. I do not have up to date info but at one time they were 900399 in Harrisburg, 900401 in Troy NY, 443 was in Mich, 445 in Calif, 515 location unknown, 591 in WI, and 622 was in GM collection. I do not know where 622 went after it was sold but a Carfax might reviel its location. We also know that one of these cars was destroyed in a house fire, I beliver in FL but have no documentation. Manickmechanic had supposedly tracked down all the cars and then was saying his was the only one remaining.

PS all these cars had black tops.

Like Robert, I am interested in the Reatta story and with that come the need for facts and production numbers. I am sure some owners could care less but hopefully some of you will find it interesting.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Cool info.

Now, Cargirl, is that GM car show on the 17th of this month in Van Nuys? If so, I can make it early for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, I’m moving and I’m taking possession of the keys that afternoon. Of course, everyone on the Reatta Forum is invited to help me move. :)

I was not aware Jay Leno would be there, does he go every year? What a great car guy!

I was not aware Jay Leno would be there, does he go every year? What a great car guy!

Jay seems to be a regular at it. When I attended three years ago, he brought his 1000+ hp '66 Toronado.

Randy is a nice guy and we miss him, Hope he gets through the cancer.

Only a few people know Randy holds the fastest speed record for a Reatta at MIS ( Michigan Int'l Speedway )

I love the white wheels! My next car will be a C4 Vette with white wheels.