Drivers Door Initials 1920's?

I have seen some cars from the 1920's that have the owners initials on drivers door? I am guessing they are initials, normally 3 letters. Anybody familiar with this practice? I thought it might be a safety item since a lot of early cars did not have keys, or just a vanity item?

Guest AlCapone

It still happens today. I purchased a 2015 Cadillac and the dealer had my initials painted in gold leaf on my door and my wife's initials on the passenger door. Several times a month people ask about it ?

Wayne

About twenty-five years ago, my dad shows up driving a brand new Ford Explorer. Dad is very proud and wants to show it off to me.

It's a very nice car with leather seats and matching set of luggage.

Then I notice on the front door is a painted script "Eddie Bauer"

I ask Dad, "Who the hell is "Eddie Bauer" ? And why is his name on your car?

You should take it back and have it changed to "Joe Miller"

That was the first time I had ever heard of Eddie Bauer...

I was not suitably impressed

Guest EMF-Owner

My 1912 Rauch & Lang Electric has the original owners Monogram still on both doors. I plan to ad my wife's monogram on it when I restore it and put my monogram on the doors on the E-M-F. Neat touch.

Lincoln offered that in the 1970's as well. Today, any of the high-end European manufacturers offer it as part of their 'Bespoke', 'Individual', or similar packages.

Craig

Ahh yes.. An EMF. ..Every Mechanics Friend... Just joking around.. Don't take it personal. ;)Dandy Dave!