Is your car a cell phone using moron magnet?

It is a beautiful day here in S. Ohio, and had the Olds out running around town a bit. Holy cow! I literally lost track of how many times I just about got plowed into, turned in front of, and rear ended. Most noticed common denominator? Cell phone. I know it's not the most priceless car in the world, but it would still be sickening to get it tore up, just because it would be hard for me to find another one not rusted to pieces.

Hopefully it's just because of the weather break, and I won't have white knuckle drives every time I'm out. Otherwise, it's not going to be much fun. Be aware and be safe!

The weather has been nice here in California (we are having a drought – so no spring rain equals nice driving weather) and last week I had my 1929 Studebaker out for a drive. As I was approaching a roundabout traffic was backed up. I had to come to a full stop; however, a 20 something female driver in a SUV nearly rear ended me. Now I am rethinking how safe it is to drive my Studebaker with just the one small stock factory taillight. I am looking into adding additional bright LED tail lights that can be taken on and off as needed so as to not alter the Studebaker’s originality. It is either that or never drive the car again.

Guest Bob Call

Mark

Additional flashing tail lights won't save you from the idiots. In 2009 I was on I-44, in center lane of a 3 lane section, with one car between me and an 18 wheeler. The 18 wheeler lost the re-tread cap on one if its tires and the car ahead of me slowed to miss the huge hunk of rubber. There were cars on either side of me so I had to slow also, still probably going 55 MPH, and a young lady behind me in an Escalade rear ended me without ever braking. She was on her cell phone. Totaled my 2006 Ford Five Hundred and her plastic Escalade.

I think use of cell phones in cars should be totally banned. If you want to use your cell phone, pull off of the street, park and turn off the ignition. Not complying should carry stiff fine and jail time if a collision is involved. I got along just fine without a cell phone until my employer furnished me one in 2002. I was 61 years old then. I still have a flip phone and have no desire or reason to have a smart phone. Call me an old fart, but, some technology is not beneficial to everyone particularly idiots and morons.

Bob,

California has had a law on the books making it illegal to use a cell while driving. However, every day I see drivers violating the cell phone law, in addition to speeding, reckless driving, etc. Unfortunately, a law on the books does not motivate people to do what is safe and prudent.

We do have a ban on the use of cell phones in a moving vehicle here The police here use several methods to observe people in their cars including riding buses so they can see into them and traffic cameras at intersections. New drivers (a large red L or green N on the back of the car) can't even have a cell phone turned on while they are driving.

Terry

I think use of cell phones in cars should be totally banned. If you want to use your cell phone, pull off of the street, park and turn off the ignition. Not complying should carry stiff fine and jail time if a collision is involved. I got along just fine without a cell phone until my employer furnished me one in 2002. I was 61 years old then. I still have a flip phone and have no desire or reason to have a smart phone. Call me an old fart, but, some technology is not beneficial to everyone particularly idiots and morons.

I couldn't agree with you more!

I've seen WAY too many idiots bouncing between the white lines, can't hold a constant speed, blowing throw a stop sign, a red light and one dumbas_ even jumped a 6" high curb because she was on her cell phone....... :mad: ......I wish the front axle would have let loose!

I have a dumb phone cell too and if I'm driving I don't answer.

If it's important they'll leave a message.

Guest Skyking

The newest scary thing is people passing school busses and not even knowing it. On the news last week in Washington 3 kids were inches away from being killed!

Luckily, none of my cars have been hit, but I know quite a few people who've had their cars hit b/c of cell phone usage. About 5 years ago, a friend had his 1937 Chevy coupe rear-ended as he entered a restaurant parking lot. The lady driving the minivan that hit it said: "I didn't see it." Umm. She had been talking on her cell phone. SMH.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Don't look now, things just got worse" __ Dog's Eye View __ 'Everything Falls Apart'

For a while I was counting my near run-ins with cell phone distracted drivers. I quit around 14... I actually think they are ten times as dangerous as drunks.

I also have a flip phone and I very rarely answer it while on the road, only when the road is essentially empty and there is little or no traffic. That said, I also have 2 regular computers and a laptop and do about 98% of my work via email so no one can accuse me of being anti-tech...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

How about this? This past Saturday afternoon a passenger in a car on the Inland Island Highway near Nanaimo, BC videoed a woman curling her hair at 90 kmh!! The vidoer said she didn't touch the steering wheel for about 2.5 kilometres. This even caught the attention of our provincial Minister of Highways.

Terry

All comes under "careless and reckless driving" statutes, should an LEO choose to enforce it.

I'm one who believes that any cell phone use by driver of a car while it's in motion should be illegal. Ditto for any activity other than driving the car. No matter what you're fiddling with, if your attention is not on the road you are a distracted driver and a hazard to the rest of us.

It's like I told a local Realtor after the 3rd time she had made a left turn in front of me while yacking on her cell phone- "Your million-dollar deal may end up in my pocket".

I had an acquaintance years ago that was in the building business. He did a lot of foundations and pole barns. One dude on the job was running to his car and looking at one of those stupid 99 cent clocks quite often. He said; Oh, look.. It is break time. The boss went over to his car with a claw hammer. Ripped the 99 cent clock off of the dash. Smashed it with a hammer, and told the guy, It is break time when I tell you it is break time, It is quitting time when I tell you it is quitting time, and if you want to keep your job, you'll do what I say.. end of story. LOL.. do not know what he would do with cell phones today, But I'm sure he would not tolerate them at all. Dandy Dave!

Guest Oldengineer

Last year my wife and I went to a concert involving a well-known male singer. Despite a verbal announcement that pictures were not allowed before the show started, and, signs posted various places as well, one guy didn't get "it". Sitting in the front row, he started recording the show with his smart phone. The artist even asked him to stop, but, the guy just ignored him and kept recording. A few minutes later, the artist stopped the show, came down off the stage, and took the phone from the guy. He then threw the phone up on the stage to one of his band members and it was promptly smashed flat. After that the show resumed. Turns out the idiot with the phone was a local lawyer. When the show ended he walked out yelling at the top of lungs that he was going to sue over his smashed phone. The event staff quickly advised him that he didn't have a leg to stand on, and, they shut him up. Wife and I about died laughing at him.

Regards:

Oldengineer

If you drive around the highways of Detroit, Michigan there is one in about every third car. Almost wrecked twice the first time I was there because of idiots blabbing on the phone. And at that time I was traveling back home from California. Never seen so many bad drivers in my life. Seems they still get their licenses from Sears Roebuck out there. Dandy Dave!

Guest Skyking
Or we could ban the automatic transmission and go back to clutches and gear shifters..... it would take both hands to drive.

They'll find a way to shift with their knees