VW BEETLE UNDERCOATING

Hi Ray,<P>I'm not sure how much help I can offer you, as it was always my understanding that they were never undercoated from the factory. I could be wrong. The reason for my coming on here is that I am restoring the same year and model myself at this time. This one came in completely covered with undercoating underneath and I removed most of it. Also, it hasn't been fun finding quality replacment parts for it. If you could explain a little better what you have in undercoating or are planning on doing with it, maybe I can offer my personal opinion on were to undercoat it or not for judging in AACA. I'm not that experienced on VW's, but I'd be glad to exchange ideas with you on these cars.<P>Rick

Ray & Rick ~ I have a '74 VW Thing which I purchased new in 1974 sitting here in my garage at this moment. I just went out and looked under it and there is undercoating everywhere. Under the fenders, on the headlight buckets and everywhere else. This car is original and the body has never been worked on other than to repair minor front and rear damage.<P>So what does this say? It could have been undercoated by the selling dealer, but it was not shown on the bill of sale. It could have been done at the factory in Mexico. I don't know. Also, this "Tin can on wheels with an engine" as my wife calls it, may be<BR>different from other VWs of the same era. They were only imported into the US in '73 & '74, They seem to consist of a unique body and a mixture of VW mechanical parts from a number of years, so who knows what strange things might have been done on a Thing, but on no other VW models.<P>I don't know if this is of any help, but at least it is an original car with a known one owner history.<P>hvs

Howard,<P>I'm trying to envision you driving down the road in a VW Thing (orange, right?) with the wind blowing through your hair... but something is amiss... Hmmm. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Peter grin.gif" border="0<P>(One more thing... they were fiberglass, not "tin", were they not?)<p>[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: peterg ]

Peter ~ Orange is correct.<P>Wind in the hair. 1974 yes. 2001 no hair.<P>Actually they were all steel, no fibreglass, so the tin can comparison is appropriate.<P>Come to the tour in Ft. Collins, CO in two weeks and see it in action. It will be driven by friends from back East, and they have hair. Maybe I will have to oil the top irons and see if the top will fold. I would love to see Seth with the wind in his beard. cool.gif" border="0 <P>hvs

I always new you had class Howard. If your wife decides that "tin can" really really needs a new home, I guess I'll have to break down and build me a garage for it. I can't move Dad's car out. Heck, its a four bay garage, its his and I have three bays full.

Actually, title to the THING has passed back and forth between my son and me so many times[for various reasons like insurance] that we are not really sure whose car it is. Right now it is in my name. However, I do know that he has the last word if I ever want to get it out of my storage building. If it ever gets sold, he will be the seller.<P>hvs