Odd question sort of asked before.

Guest drnittler

Guest drnittler

I asked a version of this question before; but here I go again. In the world of antique car collectors is there anybody out there that only has one all purpose favorite antique car. ie either they sold off their other cars and got down to there favorite car or only had one car to begin with? I notice a trend, in the area I live in, that people are scaling down collections for various reasons.

Just wondering.. Thanks again.

I think there is a sizeable percentage of such people but most of them don't frequent these boards or go to flea markets.

Yep, I'd agree. I know quite a few people who only have 1 car ... & don't visit the boards much, if at all. Some of them, never had more than 1 ... others, due to age or changed circumstances (like me) have downsized considerably.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"So many things, they come and go" __ Cher __ 'I Found Someone'

Guest Oldengineer

I've only got one antique car, and, that's all I want. It's nothing fancy - a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster sedan, but, I enjoy taking it to cruise-ins and shows. I collect other stuff - antique toys, clocks, etc., but, I just don't have the desire or room to own more than one antique car.

Regards:

Oldengineer

That's how I ended up with the Roadmaster.

It was Dad's car.

After he whittled his collection down, the Roadmaster is what was left.

Dad's collection included

1935 Ford

1936 Buick

1940 Cadillac

1952 Chevrolet

1955 Buick

1956 Ford F1

1961 Lincoln

1964 Lincoln

1966 Lincoln

1966 Lincoln convertible

1968 Lincoln

Guest drnittler

I am looking to downsize my collection to one car. That is why I asked the question. I am letting go a 29 Chevy and 50 Ford sedan, and keeping a 61 Studebaker (which) started me in the hobby 26 years ago). Its not a money issue. I see the cars sit and not get use. Perhaps it is time to focus...Just a thought.

Edited by drnittler (see edit history)

Here's an idea, Dr. Nittler. Since there may not be

a big number of car shows in your area, you can still

take your cars out and enjoy them. Ask friends to go

for a scenic ride, and stop for ice cream; or ask the

neighborhood teenager and his parents to come along.

You'll get more fun out of your collection if you share the activity.

And, with the added activity, you might not need to downsize your interests.

When my Dad passed away My brother and I ended up with 9 cars! Some of them don't get enough attention that they deserve. I feel a bit guilty for not using them as much as I should. Having a young family its hard to just maintain the cars let alone restore any new projects. I do like the fact I have different eras of cars and can enjoy about any car function. I have brass era cars for reliability runs, 20's and 30's cars for Glidden tours and a couple of 50's and 60's for Founders tours or for longer trips that involve highway driving. When my brother and I talked about downsizing the collection we couldn't bring ourselves to part with any of them. The ones I could do without he was sentimental about and the ones he could do without I was sentimental about.

When my son was little he opened my dresser drawer, looked for a few seconds and exclaimed "Gee, Daddy you have more socks than you have cars!" I don't have any of those socks, but I still have one of the cars.

Bernie

Mr. Binger, one solution if you need to "downsize" is to

split the collection with your brother! It would be

especially easy when you're each attracted to different

cars in the collection.

The Problem s my Brother lives 10 hours away and has no garage space. There is plenty of space for the cars. I just need to stop feeling guilty about not using them as much as I should. I could use more space but we all could. 'The Annex' has been in the family for 30+ years and I am sentimental about it as much as any of the cars.

post-98386-14314310129_thumb.jpg

I am looking to downsize my collection to one car. That is why I asked the question. I am letting go a 29 Chevy and 50 Ford sedan, and keeping a 61 Studebaker (which) started me in the hobby 26 years ago). Its not a money issue. I see the cars sit and not get use. Perhaps it is time to focus...Just a thought.

Ah, I see. I was forced into this line of thinking when I had to sell cars in 2012 (& again in 2013). However, ironically, some of the ones I sold ... have gotten less use with their new owners than they did with me.....

Here's an idea, Dr. Nittler. Since there may not be

a big number of car shows in your area, you can still

take your cars out and enjoy them. Ask friends to go

for a scenic ride, and stop for ice cream; or ask the

neighborhood teenager and his parents to come along.

You'll get more fun out of your collection if you share the activity.

And, with the added activity, you might not need to downsize your interests.

I like this idea.....!

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"You never know all the riches you own 'till someone takes them away" __ John Schneider __ 'Take The Long Way Home'

Guest Skyking

I think it's time to let go of some old cars. At 69 do I really need 4 cars? Maybe keep the Buick and 1 Met. After buying a brand new car for my wife after 26 years I like the feel. I really don't need my pickup anymore and been considering a new Challenger. I thing age has most to do with the question.

Sorry to say, but I believe that a lot of the cars for sale--

especially the old ones--do NOT go to homes that show them

and take them to cruise nights.

I see a good number of cars--especially when it's a collection being

sold off all at once--get sold to dealers, who try to

mark up the prices markedly; sometimes those same cars go from

dealer to dealer to dealer over the course of many months, or a year.

One hopes they end up with a loving hobbyist sooner or later--

even one who will take the 1912 Brush and the 1926 Ford Model T out on the

roads, and not, despite good intentions, keep them as idle displays in his garage.

There are vintage-car events, and more people need to see how fun

the early cars are. I'd like to see more than a small percentage

of those cars get driven weekly or monthly!

The moral of my plea is: Yes, really do try to find your oldest cars good homes!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The best way to get you car into good hands is to always drive it a minimum of 15 miles a week. Get far enough away from home so the battery charges, the brakes have to work, it cools without overheating, and will restart at the corner store 10 miles away. If it can do all that it will maintain its maximum value. You can sell it for a price dear enough to the next owner to be sure they have made more than a fleeting commitment to it. If it can't do those things it will not command a high price and the bargains go to the bottom feeders.

Look at all the white or no hair heads at the next old car meet and ask yourself which one of these old-timers is going to buy your car. A lot are still carrying those snap coin purses and leaving quarter tips.

Bernie

Guest Skyking

Look at all the white or no hair heads at the next old car meet and ask yourself which one of these old-timers is going to buy your car. A lot are still carrying those snap coin purses and leaving quarter tips.

Bernie

Hey Hey, not all of us are that bad................:eek:

Yea, times change and we gather more things than we have time to do. But, we've been having that conversation for 48 years because we've always had a fun car that was not really necessary. I've heard

"We don't need another car" "Why don't you get rid of some of those cars?" "You could get money for

those old cars."

The answer remains, I'd rather have the cars than the money. We use them, for #1 Fun, #2 Entertainment

#3 Travel (I've now driven antique cars while seeing 48 American States plus Canada & Mexico) AACA, VMCCA, EFV8CA, Vintage VW's, Model T Clubs, Model A Clubs and others all have driving events, tours

and opportunities to take you car out to play. We often take another couple on tours, makes it more fun for everyone.

For those who want to downsize in expectation if imminent death, OK but keep the one the longest, that holds the most grandkids or friends. I'd still love a ride in a 1912 Brush or any other car I'll never own and believe other people would like a ride too. Start offering to take people with you and see is it renews you love of those old cars. It can add a lot to the enjoyment of the time we have left and may get somebody else interested in our hobby.

P.S. That Corvette is not the one to keep, only holds 1 passenger.