newbie questions??

I have been reading some old posts here and even though I know I have to buy me a Judging handbook...bare with me here okay, I am still abit confused over a few things.<P>When I bring my Chevelle to HERSHEY, do I leave the floor mats in the car or not?<P>I have my car registered with PA antique tags, but admittedly don't drive the car, it is how some say "a trailer queen" but that's another post.... my question is this....<P>I don't have my PA antique tag on the car b/c I show it with the vintage California Black Plates, front and back...with the 1966 registration sticker on the rear plate too.<P>Do I have to put my PA tag on the car for judging? or can I leave the CA Black Plates on it and just have the PA tag with me if I had to show a judge it is a registered vehicle. I sure hope I can show it with the YOM plates, it just adds to the original flavor of the car.<P>Okay, I will let this post get answered first and then ask other questions I have...I do have them.

If the floor mats are authentic as either standard equipment or factory accesories, you can leave them in the car. If they are some aftermarket variety that you use to keep the carpet clean, you will lose points if they are left in the car.<P>You must drive the car onto the showfield, which means, at least for Hershey a short trip on public roads from the trailer to the showfield. We don't care what plates, if any, are on the car once it gets on the field. Thus you will have to make your own decision whether to run the risk of getting nabbed by the Derry Township Police for driving on their streets with incorrect plates. Maybe Rick Hoover or one of the other Hershey Region members will provide a response about the risk. I personally don't think it would be too high.<P>One other point, if the plates are on the car they could be subject to a small deduction due to condition. If they are in great shape, that should be no problem.

Mike,<P>I agree with everything Ron has said here. <P>As for the plates, if I were you Mike, I'd change the rear plate to the CA. tag after you parked the car on the field. I understand you wanting to do so. <P>You don't want to chance a thing with that police force while jocking around the show fields there during the show. (Trust me!) rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>Quick story ~ My last encounter with them, we were screamed at by a lovely lady officer for not having our turnsignal on while sitting in stopped bumper to bumper traffic three blocks from the intersection. It really didn't help having my friend from Tennessee reply ~ Yes Officer, Darling. Then the screaming really got interesting! She came half way thru that side window and set him straight that her name was NOT Officer Darling! I thought she was going to throw the whole gang of us in jail.<P>Another thing, I would not have any plate frames on the tags either, unless you can document that they are original factory frames.<P>Good luck and keep asking. It's better to ask them now than on the show field.<P> Rick

I leave my YOM plates on and when I do drive the car (rare) I have magnets on my PA antique plate that make it easy to snap on and off. I glued felt on the magnets so they will not scratch the old plates. I have had the car to 70 mph with no problem. I live 9 miles from Hershey and forgot to put the legal plate on last year and did not get stopped when driving down the day of the show. I would not recommend driving without the legal plate as I have seen the wrath of the Derry Police for trying to use a short cut into Hershey the day of the show a few years back.

Hey Chevelle, You mentioned that you need to buy a Judging Manual. Good idea to review the manual but there are two alternatives to buying one - attend a judging school and get one free or if you want to read one right away, go to the home page for this website and then to the judging area - the complete manual is now on-line.

glad to see we now have it (Judge's Manual) online. Maybe Peter could post an anouncment on the main page as to the addition. I don't know how many others realize it is there. I haven't recieved my judges newsletter to see if there was anything mentioned there.<P>To all AACA officers working on the website, keep up the good work.