Postwar Chrysler hubcap "skins" on eBay

Guest markrush

Guest markrush

Does anyone have any knowledge about the hubcap "skins" that are offered on eBay for $60.00 9for the 11"; they offer the 10" for $50). They say you uncrimp the old skin along the rim and replace it with the new skin. I'd be interested in any experience you might have with them as to quality, installation, etc.

I don't know about the ones being offered on Ebay but I bought some years ago (no longer available from that source)

and removed the old skins and installed the new ones.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that after removing the old skin the surface of the hubcap has to be as smooth as possible.

What I did is sandblasted them and then primed them. I was lucky to not have any dents/dings in mine so the prep work was easy.

I then used a spray on adhesive, both on the hubcap and the new skin, and let them sit a day or 2 before "crimping" the edges.

They came out beautifully and I did not have to mess around trying to paint the "CHRYSLER" script if I had them rechromed.

So, all in all, I would say using the skins is a good alternative to rechroming.

Guest markrush

Did these skins you used come with the bowl-shape already formed? I can't imaging trying to bend a flat piece to a convex surface without some serious wrinkles showing.

Did these skins you used come with the bowl-shape already formed? I can't imaging trying to bend a flat piece to a convex surface without some serious wrinkles showing.

Yes they were "pre-formed to fit the hubcap.