Paint types?

Any paint which replicates the original finish is acceptable in AACA judging. If you can make enamel look like nitro cellulose lacquer on a car which was originally lacquer, then it is acceptable. If your base coat/clear coat job looks like the original finish that came on the car, then go for it. I did on a '41 Cadillac and it looks exactly like the original paint job on the car, including the "valcour maroon metallic" color. smile.gif" border="0 <P>It isn't what type of paint which counts. It is the finish. Must be same as original.<P>That lets out a brush job with Sears house paint. shocked.gif" border="0 Don't laugh. That HAS happened. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>hvs

• 2 weeks later...

Howard, I am confused (not unusual)...<BR>How do you make a basecoat / clearcoat paint system look like an 1950's Laquer or Enamal paint job ?<BR>I am not a painter but am wondering for my own knowledge so when it is time to get my car painted I have a place to start.<BR>Thanks<BR>Bill

Bill ~ I don't know how it was done, because I personally didn't do the painting. It was done by Wayne Moore in Knoxville, TN. He is the man who painted cars for Benny Bootle for many years. I am not a painter, so I only know what looks good and right to my untrained eye.<P>That Cadillac has been in my family since new. I was 8 when it arrived and I will be the first to say that memory can be inaccurate. However, I cannot tell the difference between some parts I have which were painted with R & M nitrocellulose lacquer in 1963 and the rest of the car which was done base coat/clear coat four years ago. <P>I think base coat/clear coat can replicate a nitorcellulose job, but I doubt that it can be made to look as poor as some factory enamel paint jobs from the '50s.<P>My background is as a hobbiest and I have <B>NO</B> technical qualifications. I just try to make them look as original as when they left the factory. This usually means finding someone else more qualified to do the tough stuff. ~ hvs<p>[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]