Class 36

rodlars

Just a quick question re: Class 36. I would very much like to display my 70 Dart Swinger 340 in this class at future shows. The car won its 1st jr and sr in Class 27 last year. It was mentioned in another discussion a few months ago that the club was trying to encourage more participation in the new muscle car classes and I am certainly game. I am giving some serious thought to attending the AGNM this August (The Woodward Dream Cruise is the same weekend so we are talking a MAJOR league dilema here rolleyes.gif" border="0 ) and was wondering if anything special would be required to participate in Class 36 at this time. If the draw to Woodward proves to be too strong, I will still be going for my Preservation at Hershey and would like to do so in Class 36.<P>Thanks in advance smile.gif" border="0 <P>Rod

Class 36c: Crysler products; 1955-65 Chrysler 300 Letter Series, 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst, 1966-71 Dodge and Plymouth, all models with 426 Hemi engines, 1969 Dodge Charger, 1970 Plymouth Superbird, 1970 Challenger TA/AAR Cuda, 1962-66 Plymouth Super stocks, Max wedges, vechiles with factory race Hemi engines.<P>This is from this years judge's manual.<BR>rodlars, I'm not understanding your question. Could be it is too early in the morning yet for me.

Novaman<P>Perhaps it is just a matter of me being up too late when phrasing my question. smile.gif" border="0 <P>I am aware of the list provided in the judging manual. As I mentioned previously, this topic came up in an earlier thread in the General Forum right after the Winter Meet if I am not mistaken. The general consensus was that the list provided failed to include all of Chrysler's muscle car lineup. Using 1970 Dodges as an example, the list would cover the Hemi equipped cars no problem but excludes the following members of Dodge's Scat Pack for that year: Challenger RT's equipped with 383/440 Magnum and 440 6 Pack engines, Coronet RT's, Super Bee's, and Charger RT's equipped with the previously mentioned engines and last but not least, the Dart Swinger 340 equipped with the 340 4 Barrel engine. It was duly noted by the AACA officials that this class is still in its infancy stage and the list provided was not purported to be fully comprehensive. In other words, if you are the proud owner of a muscle car, "come on in"! The list, in its present state, only includes the absolute elite of the Chrysler muscle car ranks and would therefore explain the low participation levels experienced in this class so far. Keep in mind, I am not knocking the AACA in any way. These things have to start somewhere and I am just looking to join in on the fun. If any National Committee members happen to come accross this thread, a more comprehensive listing of eligible vehicles ala Class 19 may be required as opposed to the brief listings currently provided. I will even go so far as submitting a draft proposal for each manufacturer if anyone would be interested.<P>Rod

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I entered my 69 Road Runner, 383 convertible in the show in Nashville last year I figured I would be in class 27. I was informed I needed to be in the new class 36c. Now I have won both my first Junior and Senior in this class. According to the Published AACA guidelines my car should not be in 36c. I have never had anyone else in my class except for one superbird in Nashville and two superbirds in Charlotte. I will say that based on the rarity of these cars that are listed in 36c, that the competition level is higher, since most of these rare hemi cars, superbirds, max wedge cars etc are owned and restored by big money players and restoration shops. <BR>I applaud the efforts to entise these cars to show at AACA with this new class but I think that having a 383 car in 36c is a stretch and no offense intended, but I think a 340 car should be in 27. I have seen your car and it is wonderful. I just show my car where the powers that be want me too, however I would love to compete in a class with other makes of cars. <BR>I will be showing in Moline at the Grand National and I will be interested to see who I will compete with in 36C.

mopar mike ~ Your comment about being in a class with the big money guys and cars from professional restorers is a bit off base in my humble opinion.<P>Your car is not judged against the other cars in the class but against the "as it was when it came from the factory" standard."<P>I don't care how much the other guy spends, if your car is "right" it will win, as it obviously already has done. The level of competition is no higher there than in any other class, since each car is judged as though there were no other cars present. Each stands alone on its own merits. However in a class loaded with really fine cars, you will not slip a 365 point vehicle through for a 1st. But then a 365 pointer is not really a "right" car and is not in the same league as a 400 pointer.<P>It is a common misconception that we will get blown out of the water by a car done by a "professional restorer".<P>1. If the professionally restored car gets 400 points and the home restoration gets 400, both win. smile.gif" border="0<BR>2. "Professionally restored" cars are not always all that perfect. I once entered a car in a Grand National and was in competition with a "professional's" own car. I got 2nd, he got 3rd. smile.gif" border="0<P>hvs

I agree with most all you have said hvs, and I also know that each car is judged on it's own merits. I too have beat several professionally restored cars at the Mopar Nationals and won 1st place in a class of 27 cars. So yes it can be done.<P>My only points about class 36c was:<BR>1. It is not clearly defined. In fact as defined, my 383 Road runner should not be there. I have no problem being there, I just wanted "rodlars" to know what was happening in 36C.<BR>2. Rare high dollar mopars will set a higher standard in this class. EX- You have a 385 point car and miss getting your senior since there are 4 hemi superbirds that score 399, 398, 398, and 397. I realize that this is the case for all classes that have several really nice cars. <BR>3. The number of non-professional, everyday guy, 283 Chevrolets that are restored far out number the 64 Max wedge cars or 71 Hemi Cuda Convertibles. I mean like in the thousands and thousands of cars.<BR>I love the AACA system and everyone who is involved, but I think the main reason(and I know I am going to get some hits on this one)that 36C was created was guys in 27 with plain jane cars didn't like having a near perfect Hemi car in their class. But I only have my humble opinion on this. <P>Now before anyone gets fired up on this again let me say, "I have no problems with all of this" and I only responded so that "rodlars" would hear from a guy who was in 36C and thinks that his great 70 Dart Swinger 340 car should stay in class 27. I would be glad to swap places with him. I like showing next to other makes of cars rather than in the mopar only class. It gives people a chance to see the differences between the brands of cars from those years.

I talked with an older AACA member last night who has been a judge for many years. He shared that the reason 36C was started was to attract more of these cars to AACA. So I stand corrected on my previous post. The more cars the better and thanks for this site, it is a great source for information.

Hi again Mopar Mike. Moline is the same weekend as the Woodward Dream Cruise so I'm afraid I might have to tangle with the big dogs of Class 36 at some other meet (decisions, decisions...). I have to agree with Howard's point. If the car is a quality piece, it's going to win no matter where it is slotted. I beleive the new muscle car class to be very similar to Class 19 where many a David and Goliath battle has taken place on the judging field. A correctly restored LaSalle 5 Passenger can score just as well as the V-16 Madame X Cadillac 7 Passenger that happens to be parked beside it. I have had the opportunity to view some of the finest rstored Hemi and 6 BBL cars around and trust me, there is not one out there that would deny your car its 1st AGNM. It has been my understanding that Class 36 was created to generate a little more interest in the club so why not let the 340's 383's and 440's of the world have their moment in the sun. The more the merrier! To wrap up, I will be signing my car up for Class 36 in the future. Like a friend of mine always said, "If you act as though you are supposed to be there, people will just assume that you belong".<P>Cheers for now, <P>Rod Larson

Just another 2 cents worth to cheer up the "do it yourselfers" of the AACA world. For quite a few years, the 327/300 Vettes have had to go up against the 427?435's and 210 Stovebolt 6 Five-Seven Chevy's have been winning along side the fuel cars. Proof positive that the AACA judges are not swayed by all the glitz and glamour of the "centerfold" cars of the hobby.<P>Rod