What´s this Chrysler

Guest JendaMitrus

Chrysler was 1/3 owner of the Rootes Group in the seventies. They made Humber, Sunbeam and Hillman cars. The Plymouth Cricket was a rebadged Hillman Avenger.

The Dodge Colt came from Mitsubishi.

You forgot the Singer, Rusty!! :)

Terry

The name came back to me, Austin Marina was the same car.

The Marina and the Avenger are not related in any way, shape or form. The Avenger was Rootes Group/Chrysler UK. The Marina was British Leyland.

Terry

The Marina and the Avenger are not related in any way, shape or form. The Avenger was Rootes Group/Chrysler UK. The Marina was British Leyland.

Terry

Sorry, I remember being told years ago that it was the same as an Austin Marina. Whatever my source was, it was clearly faulty.

Guest Al Brass

Actually, I'm pretty sure the British Hillman Avenger was actually a based on a French Simca. That is why it is hard to find any part that interchanges with anything else from the Hillman line. This car had many different badges, the last being Talbot, as ownership passed from one corporation to another.

Regards

Al

Actually, I'm pretty sure the British Hillman Avenger was actually a based on a French Simca. That is why it is hard to find any part that interchanges with anything else from the Hillman line. This car had many different badges, the last being Talbot, as ownership passed from one corporation to another.

Regards

Al

This is a classic example of what happens when the badge engineers get busy. The Avenger was the first (and last) car entirely designed in the UK during the time the company was known as Chrysler UK. It did not share any of its mechanical parts with any other (formerly) Rootes Group cars. The Talbot connection was what we know as the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon which were rebadged Talbots.

Terry

... the British Hillman Avenger was actually a based on a French Simca.

Now, that's an interesting heritage. Why would anyone do that?

I see from the photos that the car found by JendaMitrus is left hand drive which leads me to believe that if originally of British manufacture, it was meant for export ... to somewhere. Speaking of which, JendaMitrus, where are you located?

Back to the original question. Has it been decided what this vehicle is ... Cricket, or not ... , Avenger (wasn't that a British TV show?), or ... ? Was the Avenger son of Simca or sired by Chrysler UK? I am sooo confused here (not too unusual for me).

Simca, please, NO, anything but that,

Grog

The steering wheel is reminiscent of those found in 1970s General Motors products, which could have been re-badged Simca steering wheels produced by Chrysler UK. But then, going back to Simca's Italian origins, it could be an upscale re-badged Fiat steering wheel.

Just to focus the discussion,

Grog

It's a Chrysler (France) 160 or 180, circa '74-'75, part of their lineup that included the more luxurious Chrysler 2-Litre. They also made the lesser Simca models. In '78, the 160, 180, and 2-Litre had front side marker lights. Source is "World Cars 1974", published annually by the Automobile Club of Italy.

Sorry 'bout that!

TG

The steering wheel is reminiscent of those found in 1970s General Motors products, which could have been re-badged Simca steering wheels produced by Chrysler UK. But then, going back to Simca's Italian origins, it could be an upscale re-badged Fiat steering wheel.

Just to focus the discussion,

Grog

Hilarious! (even if you didn't mean it to be.)

Guest Al Brass

I worked for the Chrysler importers for NZ back in the 70's and it was no secret the car had a French background. I think they were keen to break away from the solid, dependable reputation of the then aged Hillman Hunter and present something more modern, lighter and sportier. They proved very hard to kill and had some success in motorsport.

Regards

Al