Sign in to follow this  
AlCapone

Daily rental rate for movie cars ?

You might want to have your attorney draw up some sort of contract to protect your assets. One photo shoot that was for something to do with Lincoln, be it a high school or whatever, had 20 something, Lincoln cheerleaders positioned all over this beautiful '40 Lincoln sedan. Well, you can guess what the car looked like when they were finished with the shoot. Dented hood,  fenders and a caved in roof. Also, you might need to ask your insurance agent if there are any restrictions in your policy. One local guy mentioned to his agent that he rented his car out for weddings etc. and had his policy cancelled. I have been approached several times about using my vehicles and always said no.

Thirty years ago I rented my 1963 Ford pickup for a shoot of the "War of the Roses." I think that I was paid $250 per day. but the money certainly wasn't the allure. The truck was my work truck, recently painted and reasonably presentable but it was what it was-a work truck. If it had been a better vehicle my concerns might have been different, but I said what the hell, and went for it. It was a good experience, but sadly it didn't make the final cut, and I failed to take any pictures.  

I enjoyed the movie then, and still do. The theme of the movie proved to be a little more personally providential then I would have ever expected, though.

On 4/24/2015 at 12:13 AM, KLF said:

I've done a lot of work with the movies out here in Vancouver. The daily rate for a vintage car is $500. I always get hired as an extra to drive the car. That pays an hourly rate which goes into overtime after 8 hours. In January I took home $480 for the day as an extra plus the $500 for the car. I've always found the movie people to be very respectful of my car and they always asked permission if they needed to do any alterations. Even putting the windshield down.

Here is my car on the set in January. post-83955-143143086191_thumb.jpg

I wish that was me sitting next to red....

Ken

Is this the set of "When Calls the Heart"???

I have been offered $300 a day plus meals on set for my car for background work.  Only I will drive the car.  I won't get rich doing it, but will make for a good essay on "what I did on summer vacation".  Getting ready for a full night of nighttime shooting later this week, and a day of street scenes next week.  My first experience with movie production.

i earned about $750 for my Volare to sit on a lot as a prop in 2014. 3 days  at $250 per.  Did several gigs near that time  and in total earned about $1200 or so. Friend from POC  had a company that found cars for movies, TV shows and comercials. Haven't heard from him for several years now so I don't know what the current rates are.

Posted (edited)

My friend handled everything. Never signed a contract or even met a movie person. Never a problem except I once allowed "make up" to be put on my Volare that was to make it look rusty and was supposed to be easily removed. i had to wash it several times and even then I ended up using 'Goof-off to get the last of it gone. So I would suggest not allowing that if asked.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

On 6/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, JamesCarGuy said:

Does anyone have a contract they could share or is this negotiated when the deal is made?

I would assume that you would negotiate the contract when the deal is made. They would probably hand you their standard contract for this; that's when you take it to your lawyer to review and to add whatever you want for terms and conditions. I would think that you would have to do some research to really understand what you need to protect yourself, as as been discussed in this thread. I have found that it never hurts to ask for the moon in any contract negotiation-the worst they can do is say no.

Rented out my Duesenberg for $4,000 a day for three days. Sent my muscular son with it to supervise the camera crew -- he told them what they could and couldn't do. It worked out OK but I doubt I would bother with it again. The movie isn't out yet so I don't know if the car will even be seen. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2015 at 8:34 AM, trimacar said:

I happened to be standing next to Jack Warden during one of these breaks, and asked him if making movies for a living was always this slow, take a one minute shot then wait two hours for the set up for the next take. His answer "Yes, but it has it's moments!".

You should have asked him how he liked going for that wild test drive in the '57 Chevy in the movie "Used Cars" or how much of it was a stunt double. I wonder if the owner of that car was happy with the $200 a day after he got the car back.... :o

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

"Used Cars" ... what a GREAT movie!!

Cheers,

Grog