"Tubeless" Tires Deduction

Rick Lay

OK Guys, here is the word on the date of introduction of tubless tires. Watching the "History Channel" tonight on Dish Network they stated that B.F. Goodrich introduced tubless tires in 1948. To top it off they showed a whitewall tire, mounted on a '48 Buick, and the tire was EXACTLY like the B.F. Goodrich tire offered by Coker Tires today. My memory was seeing tubless tires advertised on TV around 1953-54, but the actual correct date is 1948. Now all you have to do is get that word to the Judging Committee

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Earl ~ Do you believe everything you see on TV? wink.gif I am an avid watcher of the history channel and can cite numerous instances of incorrect images being used in programs on The History Channel. I will name one - Werner Molders, an early Lwftwaffe Ace, is frequently shown in pictures purported to be of events or battles which took place in 1943 or 1944.<BR>Molders was killed in 1941 in the crash of an HE 111 enroute from the Russian front to Berlin for the funeral of Gen. Ernst Udet.<BR>The History Channel has no hesitation in using good film footage in a program regardless of its historical accuracy and timing. Watch the year of some of the cars in programs about a particular period in history. There are frequently '30's cars in stories about the '20's. Interesting programs, but the film clips often have no relation to the time or event being portrayed. <P>Therefore, I recommend that we NOT base any of our judging policies on information gleaned from The History Channel or TV in general. How about getting B.F. Goodrich to confirm the 1948 date or at least find a printed ad showing tubeless tires in 1948.<P>Someone much wiser than I once said, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." I will say, "Don't believe anything you see on TV." Get documentation on this one! ~~ Howard

Welcome back Howard - we missed you. As for believing what you are seeing on TV, back about four years ago I was contacted by a stunt man to see if I had a couple of bikes for a WWI film. I told him that I did not have anything that old but he wanted to see what I did have. The film involved an air raid on a village and they used some very fine WWI replica aircraft, and if you looked close enough, right in the middle of the raid there were two WWI soldiers riding into the village on my 1948 Aberdale and 1947 Whizzer! I told them the age was wrong, but they paid me $1000 for the two to be used for one day.

Oh well, I thought I'd discovered something. I sincerely doubt Goodrich has any files they'd be willing to dig back into. But, it is a possibility, if it really matters that much. My memory is 1953 or 1954, but then I can't believe my memory because I remember seeing the ads on TV! smile.gif

Hang in there Earl.<P>You are close to the target with this.<BR>B.F.Goodrich did invent the automotive tubeless tire and that was in 1946. They introduced it to the automotive market (here is where you're correct) in 1948, but that was for the 1949 model year. Chrysler (as I always have been told) was the first to use the tubeless tire in 1949. Most of the other automobile manufactures did not begin to use the tubeless tire until the mid 1950's.<P>That was a great show to see.<BR>Rick<P><p>[This message has been edited by Rick Hoover (edited 11-03-2000).]

Rick ~ Isn't Coker big with Goodrich? Could they possibly get any data on this subject from them? It would be to everyone's benefit if we had the date from the company that invented the tubeless tire.<BR>~ Howard

Howard,<BR>Yes they are and I'll check to see what he has on record there next week when we talk. I did check out Goodrichs website today under their company history and they put claim to 1946 being the year they 'invented' the tubless tire as I stated. I also looked into Firestones site and learned that they hold claim to being the first with tubeless tires on farm tractors and aircraft. I didn't know that. Some interesting things to learn!<BR>What year or time frame did you have in mind on this issue Howard? <BR>Rick<BR>

Rick ~ I thought it was Al Gore who "invented" the tubeless tire. grin.gif<P>I guess what I was hoping to establish once and for all was in what year the darn things were first placed on automobiles. If we had that set in stone by the "inventing company" we could put all of this tubeless tire controversy to rest. ~ Howard

Howard,<BR>It would not surprise me if Al claimed he did. He has done so many things for us that we didn't know about, hasn't he?<P>Seriously,<BR>Lets see what I can come up with by making a few calls next week. This has been a issue for sometime now. <BR>Although, I did not hear of any problems regarding this topic at the Hershey meet this year, or was there?<BR>Rick