Hello Y'all, Newbie here!

Guest MrBrent

Guest MrBrent

Howdy everyone, I JUST found and bought a 1931 DeVaux Model 75 Four Door Sedan the other day. This vehicle has been sitting in a back yard for 30+ years, and they could not move it out because they built a garage in front of it (weird). But anyways, here's a picture of this beauty! I need some help finding some parts for it, and also help with trying to get it running. Any help would be great, thank you Brent!

Great forum by the way, lots of info!

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Furdog/library/1931%20DeVaux%20Model%2075%20Four%20Door%20Sedan

Guest MrBrent
Welcome to the Forum. Quite a rarity. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

So far the research I've done, it's pretty rare... Just hard to find anything on this classic. Thanks Brent

Guest MrBrent
Nice, interesting, project....... :)

Oh yeah.......you'll be asking LOTS of questions....... :rolleyes: ........keep posting pics along the way....... :D

Haha, I figured! But, hopefully this will be a decent project. I'd actually really like to find a wood reproduction guy that redo the wood body frame, or what is it close to?

Congratulations on an unusual find - certainly an interesting project to keep you off of the streets..

Where are you located? The body seems to have survived the elements surprisingly well, considering being left outside for so many years

The DeVaux was manufactured in Grand Rapids, MI as you can see from the ID plate. I reside in the Grand Rapids area. There is a DeVaux coupe on display in the Van Andel Public Museum here. If you're interested in DeVaux history, you may want to contact the museum. I'm sure they would be glad to assist you.

Keith

Guest MrBrent

Thanks for all the awesome welcomes! I'm located in Surf City, CA (Huntington Beach, ca). This was in the back yard near my parents house. It is a very unique car, and I'd love to restore it or try to hahaha.... I'm also staying away from street / rat rod shops. This is one that won't get chopped up! I did some looking today, and seen it's 98% rust free, no rust holes anywhere yet. Interior is shot, needs all the gauge set, crank for the engine, btw, engine is NOT froze - I only moved it a hair just to see if it was locked, I think the best is to pull the plugs, put some Mystery oil oil down it's pipes and let it sit. I also think it's best just to tear it down and replace all of the seals, gaskets, rings, bearings, etc.

I will check out the Van Andel museum in your area, that's very useful info as it's fairly hard to find on this classic.

Can't wait to tackle this project, and of course spend some cash ;(. Oh well, history going back on the road!

Guest MrBrent
We'd be very interested in talking to you about doing the wood if an entire continent didn't separate us.

Soooo true! BUT, I do really need someone that can repo the wood. It's 75% gone, but there's still some large pieces that are present, and not rotted. I've been looking and seems $1-$3k is what they charge, but this is the first car i've done like this, so all new to me.

As far as the engine goes I can't think of much that can't be fixed.

If necessary the crank can be ground and fitted with new mains and rod bearings or spray welded and ground to standard.

For the record, anyone, what kind of engine does it have?

I see the manifolds have HALL cast into them.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Soooo true! BUT, I do really need someone that can repo the wood. It's 75% gone, but there's still some large pieces that are present, and not rotted. I've been looking and seems $1-$3k is what they charge, but this is the first car i've done like this, so all new to me.

You better figure on closer to $6k for the wood if it has as much wood in it as the typical car from the era. More if someone has to "invent" patterns for missing pieces.

Guest MrBrent
As far as the engine goes I can't think of much that can't be fixed.

If necessary the crank can be ground and fitted with new mains and rod bearings or spray welded and ground to standard.

For the record, anyone, what kind of engine does it have?

I see the manifolds have HALL cast into them.

I believe it's a Hall 40-A? Just doing my research still. Found the serial number on the engine - 40AA501

KVP ... the De Vaux was made in Oakland and Grand Rapids.

Dec 29 1930 1st De Vaux unfinished car tested by De Vaux and hall themselves

Jan 06 1931 1st car completed at Grand Rapids

Jan 12 1931 1st car shown at Chicago Motor Show

Jan 26 1931 same car at Los Angles Motor Show

Mar 24 1931 De Vaux Hall orders 8000 bodies from Hayes

April 06 1931 production begins at Grand Rapids

April 15 1931 production begins at Oakland

Sept 25 1931 production stops at Oakland and never resumed

We have 71 1931 675 registered and 4 1932 675's in the DMAC Registry. 6 1932 680's

28 Chrysler .. yes headlights should be Stabalite lights and lenses.

Interesting to note the 1933 Continental Ace's all seem to have the 40A Hall engine blocks with Hall name ground off.

Edited by Durant _32 (see edit history)

Before committing your car to re-wooding determine how much of the original wood is still intact. There is a product called Git Rot which has the ability to save even rotten wood while staving off the rot's progression. It is a two part epoxy the cures very slowly. The slow curing process allows the water consistency mixture to penetrate into the solid wood providing an impervious bond. Your imagination is the only thing limiting the use of the product. I have used it for thirty five years, always with good results.-Bill

Cahartly mentioned Kwik Poly. It works the same way that Git Rot does. I have used both and find no difference in the results. Git Rot was the original and was used in the marine industry for years before KP was created as a spinoff and marketed to the old car industry. I do prefer GR for rotten wood because of it's slower kick off of the chemical reaction which allows for more complete penetration into the surrounding wood.

• 2 weeks later...