Becoming A Judge

I have just enrolled into the AACA National and soon to be Region of Westchester County. <BR>However I have great interest in judging at local shows. How do I go about judging for local show in my area and being certified or registered in the field. All suggestions will be helpful.<BR>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>1972 Chevelle SS 402BB, \<BR>400T tranny, AC, PB, PS, AM/FM Stereo, Aux Lighting, etc<BR>1987 GTA<BR>1998 Camaro SS Y2Y <BR>Every Y2Y Option

A lot of times at the local shows, the judging is not done on the same level as it is a a national show. You will need to find out from your region, how they go about doing the judging.<BR> I would suggest going to a national show and attending the judging school on friday. send in for the car registration packet for the show you will attend. the form is on the BACK of the WHITE PAPER in the plastic sleeve your magazine will becoming in. you then will get all the info on the show, including directions to it, and what time everything takes place. the school will give you good training. you don't have to become a national judge, if you want to. The idea of becoming a national judge might seem scary, but the are a lot of people that will help you if you need it. <BR>Welcome to AACA. You'll find lots of friends here. And if you have questions, just ask. Someone will help you.

NM is correct. All you have to do to judge at almost any local show is raise your hand. That doesn't make for consistent judging. Too many new members get dejected after having their car judged at a local Meet. Go to a National Meet and go to the school, usually on Friday. The next day sign up for the apprentice team where you get some hand-on instruction. At your next National Meet you start to judge for real, and all of the guys & gals on your team will help you. After that, you can judge sensibly at a local show as well, should you want to; noting of course, that the form will be less complete, and the result less consistent.<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 09-13-2000).]

For those of you who might not know it, Dynaflash was the National Judges Training Director in 1976-77-78, and has remained active in judging since that time. He knows a lot about AACA judging and his advice is based on knowledge and experience. ~ hvs