Sports Cars

Terry Bond

I'd sure like to see class 25 (sports cars) broken down into a few more categories - right now that class takes care of anything from a 1932 MG to a 1975 Ferrari. This is something that has been suggested before and I believe is being looked at by our judging committee, but how to go about breaking it up is a big ? I attend a lot of British car shows in this area and they usually draw pretty good attendance - with a lot of cars that would show very well at AACA National Meets - however only having one class available is pretty discouraging and doesnt help us attract new members from this source. - How bout some thoughts from you DF'rs with Castrol in your veins.<BR>Terry

Terry:<P>I see where you are going here, however, from my own experiences in entering my 1972 TR-6 in 3 National events, I do not feel a breakup of Class 25 really means anything.<P>Your friend's discouragement, or, involvement with A.A.C.A. should not be based upon "All Sportscars". If they put the work into the car, it doesn't matter if a Lamborghini is parked next to an MG, a Triumph, or, whatever. Remember, the judging is based upon "as close to off the assembly line as possible". Also, at the awards banquets, it is totally possible for 20 ties for 1st Junior, 30 ties for 2nd, and, so on.<P>Again, marque does not mean anything.<P>If we break Class 25 into sections (British, Italian, German, etc.,) the car will still have to score within the designated points of the highest scoring car to win a 1st, 2nd, Senior, etc.<P>At many shows, I have spoken to owners of many makes, and, there are actually people out their that are afraid (ego-wise) of being judged by A.A.C.A. guidelines.<P>Bottom line, in my opinion, is these people are not fully informed of the purpose, judging guidelines, and, FUN of the A.A.C.A.<P>In closing, a recent case: At the 2000 Reinholds Lions Club Show, a gent, of whom, I have spoken to before, came up to me and noticed that I received a 1st Junior. He said he has 2 cars that could do well with A.A.C.A. I tried to recruit him for membership in the A.A.C.A. He responed: I like to "compete" at the local show level for trophies. That's his call.

Terry & Heizman ~ <BR>First in response to Terry, I also see where you are going with this and can see where it would likely increase participation in the National meets which means membership had an increase as well.<BR>In response to Heizman, I know where you are coming from in your statement regarding the fact some folks will only enter a show where they are almost guaranteed a tropy. We have a small MOPAR club where we are and they are absolutely some of the nicest folks around. However, the only shows they will put their vehicles in are those that have a "MOPAR Class". They won't even think about joining AACA and competing. And the really bad part of that is nearly every member's car would score extremely well in AACA judging. So not only is it our loss, but their's as well.<BR>Patt

Patt: Good comments.<P>The way I see my car, is I am only the caretaker, NOT the owner. Like a house, you really do not own it.<P>Some day, both will be passed on to the next caretaker who pays to keep them in order, or, not in order.<P>What Terry, Patt, and I are saying indirectly, is we all must push for the Junior Members involvement.<P>Terry's remarks are well appreciated. There are folks in their 20's, 30's, and, 40's who must be kept interested. A lot of them are very interested in the Class 25 cars. <P>I leave it where what is best for the majority. If breaking up the class is the order that will help in AACA involvement, then I will help in the effort.<P>Terry: Keep me posted on what your friends want, and, I will help where I can.

Good thoughts. As Vice President of National Activities i've fielded a lot of questions on this and felt obligated to pursue on behalf of existing and potential members. It is one of only a few production vehicle class we have that covers everything from 1890 to 1974. Even commercial vehicles are divided by weight/year. Perhaps a division by certain years would do. I personally think it would be impossible to try and do it by make of vehicle. Having judged this class on occasion, including at a Grand National, I can confirm that quality restorations will win regardless of how we divide this (if at all), but I think if we opened things up a little big it would have a large benefit in attracting more entries = more members = more expertise in judging, etc, etc. A lot of younger folks are going the sports car route and it's for sure another avenue to attract them. Granted AACA offers a lot more than car shows. But, for those who are more interested in showing than anything else it's awful hard to compete with a British car show where there are dozens of classes (greater chance to win a prize) while we have only one. Would a simple Pre-War/Post-War break do it for starters? We don't have to solve it today, but lets knock it around a bit and see where it leads.<BR>Terry

Terry: why not break the sports car class into three classes. pre 1940, pre 1960, post 1960. my thinking on this is it gets the cars like the MG TCs and the TDs out of competing with either the older cars or the more modern cars. <P>Ms63falcon:Sounds like the MOPAR club there might just need to have the judging explained to them. If all their cars are that good, like you state, maybe you ought to find a group of AACA Judges and hold a little get together. Sit down with them and the judging forms, explaning the judging system. Then have then have the judges judge a car or two, explaning what we look at and show them that their cars are competitive. Just a thought because a lot of poeple I've talk to just don't understand the whole judging thing. They think we judge cars hard then they do a marque shows. I'm working on a car that would be laughed out of a marque show because of things not matching the body tag and not the "orginal" laqucer paint but, it would do fine at a AACA Show.