Latest Juding Newsletter - Mandatory School

Jim Bollman

Got the latest Juding Newsletter today. I was looking for clarification on the Class Judging Committee Meeting notes. Item two said:<P> "beginning in 2001 it will be mandatory that all judges must complete a school to be eligible to judge for any given year"<P>If this means every judge must attend a school every year we will loose a lot of judges. Most years I only get to one National show, Hershey. No Schools at Hershey. I go to the schools and take CJE when I can, but it isn't every year.<P>Is this the plan?<P>Jim...<BR>

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF JUDGING SCHOOL?<P>Is it to provide a job for David Wunsch, Chairman of Judges Training, to keep him on the road? NO.<P>Is it to keep Sandy Neidigh, Chairman of Judges Records, at her computer for days on end entering the thousands of participation cards from at least 10 judging schools? I THINK NOT.<P>Is it to make judges better and therefore improve the quality of AACA judging? YOU'RE DARN RIGHT IT IS.<P>The school is where a judge is brought up to date on the judging rules and procedures. They evolve annually.<P>The school is where judges receive the current judging manual and a 20 question quiz on its contents. I know - you can purchase a copy from headquarters. But how many will actually do that if they do not attend a school. Heck, many judges bearly review the copy they get for free at the school.<P>If a judge is unable or unwilling to do the whole job and attend a school each year, maybe they should consider why they are a judge at all. Is it just to get a free toy truck at Hershey?

I think the point Jim is trying to make is that not everybody is retired an can make some of the other shows during the year. I for an example, get ONE week vaction per year. Well that week is taken up with the Hershey show. Does that mean that because I can't get the time off that is needed to attend a show with a juding school during the year that i'd be banished from judging? We are doing this on a volunteer basis. I have gone some years only making it to hershey. One year the only other show I could attend was in Chesapeke, VA. Thursday night before the show hurricane Fran slammed into NC. I could make it out of my drive and five feet. Road blocked. after that ten power poles down. got power line off my street on monday. Well i didn't make it. Made it to Hershey. The new rule would say I'm out of juding. I feel the rule should be relaxed a little that maybe you need to attend a school every two years. I know Jim and I know he doesn't have that many shows Close by that are just a few hours drive away. I used to live in the same town. <BR>Next year the founder's tour is the closest national event for him. No School. The closest show timewise is about 5 hours to Hershey. Its about 8 hours to Johnstown, PA. That means it's two day out of work. one to get there and the other is friday for judging school.<BR>I agree with Jim that we are going to lose a lot of judges. I see it being a case of people just not being able to make some of the other shows, some years. It would be nice to be retired to be able to make the other shoes. I've been judging for fifteen years. I've made eight schools. If you want younger people to be around to take over the ranks of the "older" folks in years to come, you can't force them out by making the reqiurements for judging so strict that a working person can't participate anymore. I can make shows since they are on Saturday. I can sometime manage to get there overnight. I don't judge just to get the toy truck at hershey, or even the brass chips. I do it because i enjoy it and i enjoy the hobby!!!!!!! I judge a show, judging chassis, on crutches with both lower leg bones busted in two. I'd like to see you do that. I'd say that's dediction. A-judge , if you're not man enough to regisiter, I got an idea. Why don't you pay my salary so I can retire now and go to the shows with school on Friday. I just need you to do it for 31 yrs so i can then get my SS check. wink.gif<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 09-03-2000).]

Unfortunately not all members have the work flexabilty and time to go all over the country to National meets. I make Hershey every year and any other meets I can that are within 100-200 miles. That means a lot of years it is just Hershey. <P>If school was available at Hershey I would try to attend. I actually think CJE is more useful than school but that is not available at Hershey either. Maybe some kind of home study or web based school for those that can't make regular schools.<BR> <BR>If I understand the recommendation correctly and it is accepted by the board I will step down as a judge. Maybe when I retire I can travel to all the shows and start judging again. <P>Most years they are begging for judges at Hershey, this new rule should help a lot. <P>Jim...

Guest boettger

I tend to agree with the posts on this topic.<BR>I think that judges school is a good thing, but making it mandatory each year is bad.<BR>A requirement like having to attend at least one judging school every third year would be O.K.<BR>As has been mentioned here I have to show up every week day at work, vacation time is limited, so the only national shows that I can judge at are those within @250 miles from Binghamton, NY and those only as schedule permits. Am at Hershey every year. Some years that is the only show that I am able to attend. Either offer the judging school and CJE at Hershey or relax a bit on the requirement. <BR>Changes to the judging manual should be included in the judges newsletter. <BR>Sitting in a room, looking at the same old slide show and listening to car owners that have had percieved problems with the judging system whine while asking questions, does not do much to improve the judging system.<BR>Am looking forward to when I can attend CJE, but won't be until nex year sometime. If it was offered at Hershey I'd make time and be there. <P>------------------<BR>Steve Boettger<BR>'30 DeSoto 8<BR>'59 Nash Metropolitan<BR>'23 Chevrolet Touring<BR>Iroquois Region, AACA Web Site<BR>http://www.aaca.org/iroquois/

Good thought Steve, I'll bet if a judging school were offered at Hershey it would be one of the best attended of all. What a great opportunity that would present to get some more people involved in judging too. I recommend drop a note to VP of Judging with that suggestion and see how it works out. <BR>Terry

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, I agree, for many years, while in collage, and various jobs, the only national event I went to was Hershey. Now I go to a limited number of shows on the east coast within a days drive of NYC. It would be the best place to find new judges. SalG

Father Ron mentioned on 9/3 or 9/4 he would<BR>be out of pocket for a couple of weeks. We probably won't hear from him until about the middle of the month.<BR>Patt

Well ain't that just something. He goes off like that without our permission!! frown.gifwink.gif He needs to get a laptop to take with him so he doesn't need to desert his faithful followers in the future. wink.gif Heck, I'm trying to figure out how to get my computer in the camper, run on the generator (without problems) and hook it up to my cell phone!! Just kidding. It would be nice. I dread getting caught back up on the DF after Hershey.

Howard Scotland is now hvs. Not a new and improved version, just the same old brand with a new label.<P>I did some traveling after the meet in Aptos and then came home and got ready to to go on a Brass Car Tour in Minnesota, and just got home. The reason for monicker [that's NOT Monica] change was some kind of probably self induced computer screw up that wiped me off the forum. So here I am, starting all over again. Maybe that's a good thing as you will not know how many posts I have made since April. That could be embarassing. blush.gif<P>Howard<P><p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 09-11-2000).]

Am back in the saddle again. This was the first time that I have been without access to the net for two whole weeks since this DF got started. It was a real pain. Will start looking now for the travel access. <P>There was a slight error in The Judge (newsletter). It stated that there was no discussion on the school motion. There was discussion and I think now some confusion. The comments made in this thread are valid and certainly worthy of consideration. I will bring up the topic again when the Judging Committee meets during Hershey.