EGR delete

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

I had to remove my EGR valve on one of the 90s today, and it was in rough shape. It leaks a bit, and it's all plugged up. I was curious as to whether removing it via covering the hole in the intake and capping hole on the manifold was feasible. Thanks!

PD210,

Other than setting codes and an ever-present check engine light, probably won't hurt anything.

Personally, I'd just get another EGR valve for it. It's part of the emissions control system and it should be in good working order.

Ron's store (TRS) has them for around 60 bux.

Probably free shipping at that price.

Since it was "all plugged up", you should clean the adapter block and check the riser tube as well .

If you do decide to cap it, let us know what happens.

Recently replaced one myself.

post-67519-143143082365_thumb.jpg

Note the red marks. That's where the heads of the screws were broken off. Only one screw was holding the assembly together

This allowed hot exhaust gasses to leak out, scorching the decorative engine cover. (from '90 Reatta)

John F.

post-67519-143143082309_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143143082338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Likely result will be somewhat lower fuel mileage and possible knock under moderately loaded cruise conditions. The L27 engine with the aluminum tpi manifold did not use EGR, so it is possible, but I suspect a slightly different tune to accommodate it. I have blocked the EGR, (temporarily), on a couple of different engines. A four cylinder Saturn which lost several mpg and a V6 Ford which made little difference. Your results may vary :) A properly functioning EGR system actually helps efficiency, primarily under cruise conditions, aside from the emissions question. Shouldn't hurt to give it a try and let us know.

Guest PontiacDude210

Dumb question here... what does the computer read on the EGR valve? If I could leave it plugged in and in place but cap the hole in the manifold and gasket the intake hole closed, would the computer realize it was non operational?