A note about judging and judges.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, A few things to remember about judging and judges.<P>1. We work for free.<BR>2. We travel to shows at our own expense.<BR>3. We pay for breakfast, $4.00<BR>4. We work in extreme weather, i.e. sun, heat, rain.<BR>5. We are not all knowing, we are only human.<BR>6. We take our duties seriously, we tend to give the owner the benefit of the doubt if we don't know.<BR>7. We work in a team of six, deputy judge, team captain, interior, exterior, chassis, engine.<BR>8. We do not take pleasure in taking points off.<BR>9. We have been trained, and retrained to do our job.<BR>10. We do not care where you are from, how much you paid for the car or restoration or who you are. We look over your vehicle and do our best. Above we are fair to one and all. If I take off 2 points for x on your car, I take off 2 points for x the next time I see a car with x.<P>Sal Grenci<BR>Master Judge<BR>Newsletter Editor<BR>Life Member AACA<BR><p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 07-28-2000).]

Guest snkchevcol

SalG:<BR>Nicely put. I have only been judging for less than a year, but have found out that some people think the judges are supposed to be perfect all the time and that we get paid good to do it. It was sorta like one of the judges I judged with at Charlotte. She said one of her friends ask her what she got paid to judge. She told her friend that the only pay she got was a chip to add to her board. Then she told her friend that that chip only cost her an average of $350 to $650, depending on how far she had to travel. <BR>So as you said, judges do this for the enjoyment and gaining of knowledge, not profit.<P>Rock

Thanks SALG for posting this. unfortunately, most of the time it seems the feedback we get is negative. That sometimes makes you wonder if doing the judging is really worth the hassle. People don't realize we do this to enjoy the cars and that we pay for the privilege of judging. We try to be fair to everyone. Some of us are dedicated to this. I've had some former team members tell me i was basically nuts becuase I judged chassis at a couple of shows with a broken leg!! I volunteered to do them. I would have judged another show with the broken leg but it was the Sat. after I broke it and I still couldn't stand upright.<P>So, people showing cars. Please, please, go to a judging school. You'll find out what is involved, hopefully gain respect for the judges, and with a better understanding have more fun showing your cars without so much stress. Just because you go to a school, doesn't mean you have to judge. Use it as a learning tool. Thank you. <p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 07-28-2000).]