1925 Water pump

Yes, Rick. You could try talking to Machinist Bill. He supplied me with lip seals to go with my rebuilt pump - new bushes, shaft, impeller etc. No more leaks in over a year. I would never go back to using the old style packing.

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Here are two different brands/part number for the seal you want. I think I found the SKF on fleabay and was able to order the other ones from Advance Auto Parts.

SKF 6120,[TABLE=class: table-prod-info-block]

<tbody>[TR=class: topTD]

[TD=colspan: 3][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]National Oil Seal, Part No. 340849

[/TD]

[TD=class: warranty-prod-info-block]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I'm not familiar with the '25 water pump Rick. The one I set up for Ray was a '26. I used seals (Viton) that were for a 5/8" shaft and I think 7/8" OD. You can use one on each end (Lip faces the impeller) and use the packing on the outside for the original look. Use the original packing nuts but don't over tighten.

I used Ray as a trial run to see how long they last. It appears they are doing the job!

25 years ago I eliminated the rope packing in an 18-36 Hart Parr tractor I owned.

I bored the housing and install a pair of double lip seals behind the impeller and they haven't leaked a drop yet.

You most likely will have to have the pump covers bored for seals.

Good quality double lip stainless steel seals will probably outlast you....... :P

I used Ray as a trial run to see how long they last. It appears they are doing the job!

:rolleyes:

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I am using PTFE square section braided rope in my 1930. It is 15 years or so with no leaks and I don't recall tightening the nut. I saw a Model A on Sunday in which he had used graphite impregnated hemp. It didn't leak, but the outer end of the gland nut was corroding fast - galvanic corrosion caused by the graphite. I bet the shaft, which we couldn't see, wasn't too good either on the dry side.

There are kits available for some makes of water pump with two single lip seals. The outer apparently fails quickly through lack of lubrication.

Replaced the rear packing with the new seal (took the easy side) as an experiment,ran the car for 15 min and so far dry as a popcorn fart.The big test will be in a week when we get together with the Main Region from Michigan for our Mini Meet.Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it does.