SONOMATIC RADIO ..where do speakers connect ??

coupekid

hi does anyone have pics Or link to pics of the 1957 - 58 sonomatic radio & where exactly do the speaker wires connect into the radio ... one wire from speaker i believe connects to radio chassis the other to the radio board somewhere ? ..any help would be appreciated,, thanks .

Guest dwhiteside64

Do you have the service manual? The Sonomatic radio installed in my '64 Riviera has all the wiring connections, schematics, and drawings located within this manual. Not sure if this was the case during '57-58, but worth a look....

no ...the service manual does not show radio diagram ... a sonomatic photo fact schematic was issued but is not detailed to show where the speaker wires connect to... there are a fair few sonomatic radios for sale & non of them have speaker wires attached... this seems to be one of those tricky topics that even google has no answers to either...

As I remember, (big caveat there) One speaker wire is grounded and the other is a single pin plugin on the radio.

Alright, memory does serve correct. I just checked out a spare I have. Looking at the radio as if you were sitting in the seat. The forward passenger side of the radio chassis is on a diagonal. In the approx. center of that of that diagonal panel is a hole with a fiber washer. The speaker wire pin plugs in there. My 57 shop manual does have a schematic, which shows one wire grounded and a one pin connector. But of course as a schematic it does not show physical locations................................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Thankyou Bob, good man ,, appreciate your input & efforts !!! ... i have used a single pin plug similar to the old 70`s headphone type end plug in that tiny socket you mentioned about & attached the other end to one of the speaker points..the other speaker point wire is to chassis frame.. there is a buzzing/crackling sound only coming from speaker which seems to mimick the valve radio buzzing sound but no radio station pick up.. antenna is plugged in .. am i using the correct speaker plug ??? ....it seems to fit well ..

A head phone jack pin usually has 2 conductors in the one pin. Your speaker pin is just a simple pin with a wire connected to it. If your speaker is making noise you have connected it. You could have a bad antenna connection or bad radio. ................Bob