Rebuild pic request

alini

Can someone get me a pic of the package tray install at the front just above the speaker grille, with the grille removed on a 63-65 please. I got a tray from Lee Sulis but it appears to be a bit short. My original tray was trashed and I dont believe there were any fasteners holding it in this area, but I have seen pics online of it both ways, with two screws and without anything. I have two slots for the speaker to mount.

I can see in the pics how the grille and package tray line up smoothly, but does it secure to that bracket??

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, Had my 63' package tray off today, my speaker grill has 2 tabs on the top that insert through the package tray into slots in the frame. 2 screws on the bottom screw into a bracket. I will send 2 pics. Hope these help.

Brianpost-102414-143143098627_thumb.jpg

post-102414-143143098623_thumb.jpg

I looked at what I think is a virgin package tray in a '63 the other day and saw two holes in the sheet metal bracket, but no holes through the shelf itself. ??????

The body manuals I have for '63 and '64 show two screws that you'd have to put in before you put the speaker grill in. I would imagine that there would be a clip nut of some sort for the screw to bite into, it wouldn't be able to bite into that molded fiber board and hold anything for too long.

Guest atomickneedrop

Hi Chris

ive enjoyed watching your build. I bought a package tray from lee for my 64. I ended up using a die grinder to clean up where the speaker grill fits. I also reinforced the rear curve to get the correct arc. There are 3 screws holding it in. None at the speaker grill. Look at Flickr.com\photos\vwsyncro there is a set titled riviera that shows the tray without vinyl.

Cheers

I did find two pin holes. They are the same color as the bracket, no shiny metal as if a screw had passed through and in fact I cant find a screw that fits in them. The cover I got from Lee Sulis would no way get near where these two holes are even if I did have hardware. So thinking I got a Friday car and someone failed to put screws in or properly drill here they go. I had to take the front lip off of my cover as well, it fits alot better now. I should be finishing the install on Saturday with the rest of the interior pieces. I got the rear 'door panels' in place. I want to hook up the battery booster and check the window operation before I really get any further. They fit tight around the front of the glass and Im concerned about the movement.