Bay of pig cars

Dave Mellor NJ

Guest Bob Call

A lot of the cars in Cuba are not what they appear to be. I have in the past looked at for sale ads and a large number of different power trains. Favorite replacement engines seem to be Toyota and Nissan diesels. Look at the above link and the next car after the yellow Dodge is a red 56 Ford with a Toyota emblem on the trunk lid. Wouldn't be surprised if it had a Toyota pickup diesel power train.

Those that have dreams of getting a 59 Caddy convertible cheap and importing it; I'll bet getting an export permit for a car in communist Cuba is a nightmare with tariffs that will rival the price of the car. And, the natives will see the gringos as easy marks and demand outrageous prices.

I've had more than a few people suggest that I should go down there and acquire those "lost" Cuban cars (these are usually the same morons that suggest I call Jay Leno to buy all my cars). In truth, none of those cars are salvageable in any meaningful way. The whole point of them is the ingenuity of the Cuban people, which is quite remarkable, but none of those are perfect, unrestored survivors waiting for a lucky new owner. They're patched together using wishes and wire, not perfectly preserved cars from a warm climate. There might be a handful of remarkable finds due to the vast wealth that was there in the '50s, and those will be carefully and quietly exported, but the rest aren't really worth having.

What will happen is that someone will cherry-pick the best of the cars, they'll show up at auction and bring HUGE money so the guys who need to have such a curiosity can say they have one (these are probably the same guys who buy piles of rust called barn finds and pretend they're special because despite their massive deterioration, they're "untouched"). Then a bunch more will flood the market after the feeding frenzy is over, and will be rightly recognized as trash. I bet most of those Cuban cars will eventually be on the market, but like the Trabants that came out of East Germany in the '90s, they'll be curiosities at first then forgotten except for the handful of guys who will over-pay to be first in line, who will end up with expensive trash with a pedigree.

The sad part is I see some sort of feeding frenzy by people with more money then brains, we can't forget the Lamprect Chevrolet Auction. Cars that were pretty much rotted junk sitting in a soy bean field filed for 50+ years, I did not get it at the time and I don't get now. As we all know those carswere selling for way more then a high quality fully restored car with a diserable drivetrainand two less doors would sell for. I don't see these cars being any different for that type of buyer

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

They have a bunch of cars that have been in service for 55 plus years with no real parts source. Add in their poor economy and you get a good idea of what condition these cars are in. The US parts source became unavailable in 1959.

You are absolutely correct! In addition to the above, one needs to consider the fact that even though Cuba is the "Big Island" in the Caribbean, it is still an island surrounded by salt water. The Trade Winds pick up the salt water and deposit it on most anything in coastal areas, including 55+ year old vehicles. Would the interior sections of a large island be mostly free of the "salt air"? Probably, but most vehicles on an island would spend much, if not most, of their lives in the coastal areas. I tend to ramble on too much, but what I'm saying, is that most vehicles from an island will have significant rust/corrosion problems ... and that's putting it mildly.

I've only been to Cuba twice (back in the mid 1980s), but as flight crew on a quick turnaround, we were restricted to certain areas of the airport (Havana's Jose Marti International); consequently, I was not able to check out Cuba's "classic cars" first hand. I have, however, spent much time on various islands of the Caribbean and Tropical North Atlantic and have witnessed what salt air can do to machinery in a very short time ... it aint pretty.

Cheers,

Grog

I agree with all that these cars are not at all what they may appear to be.

At the same time I have to wonder/ask, did not Cuba maintain relations with Canada from 1959 on? If so, could not car parts be had from our neighbor to the north?

Guest myold88

Considering the poor condition of these cars I don't see any that I would want even for free- Well maybe I'de take that '59 Cad convertible.

I agree with all that these cars are not at all what they may appear to be.

At the same time I have to wonder/ask, did not Cuba maintain relations with Canada from 1959 on? If so, could not car parts be had from our neighbor to the north?

Yes to a point. A Canadian friend of mine has moved to Cuba. He did take some smaller parts with him on his many trips there in the past but most of the cars are so heavily modified and beat into the ground over and over again Original parts are of little use.

The Cuban mechanic is a very resourceful and adaptable person who knows how to make do with very little!

Guest exbcmc

Not long on the Konan Obrian show he visited Cuba and they talked about all the American cars down there. They mentioned that they are held together with bailing wire and you'd be surprised how many were powered by lawn mower engines AND washing machine motors. Hard to believe but that's what they said.

It has been posted before, but to get an idea of the Cuban, cars go to their version of Craigslist. On the first few listings today are a 54 plymouth with a Toyota engine and a 58 Pontiac with a mercades engine ans automatic tranny. We tend to forget that while we refused to trade with Cuba, other nations were shipping them supplies so those items were used on the old cars to keep them running. Also note there are a lot of newer cars, but not from the USA. Interesting to see what is available there. Go to the bottom and click on carros. http://www.revolico.com/

Edited by Fleek (see edit history)

Not long on the Konan Obrian show he visited Cuba and they talked about all the American cars down there. They mentioned that they are held together with bailing wire and you'd be surprised how many were powered by lawn mower engines AND washing machine motors. Hard to believe but that's what they said.
I wonder what Conan was smoking. A lawn mower engine to power a full sized, American car!?!?! That's hilarious, but not as funny as the washing machine motor. You'd need a hell of a long cord to drive anywhere

Looks like great material for a restoration car reality show. How about Restoration In Paradise with Jeremy Clarkson as the confused and ostracized restoration shop owner who punches mechanics and balking cars. Then Sara Matins can be a Russian diesel mechanic for all those engine transplants:

Maybe I could produce that.......

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

I am a very frequent visitor to Cuba for the last 15 years ( with all inclusive vacations for less than $600 , why not ). I can honestly say I have never seen one car on the island that I would buy for my collection. I routinely take a gas cap, fan belt, wiper blade or thermostat with me. The cars on the island in my opinion are at best classified as scrap. Many without seats, mufflers, proper wheels. Etcetera. A nice island but not the antique car paradise many envision. In most cases shipping costs would exceed the value of the car. Wayne

I can well remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck as I lay on the carpet as a 14 year old listening to the radio for the latest updates on the Cuban missle crisis. I would think there will be more money to be made shipping cars to Cuba rather than from Cuba.

WHO are the true owners of these cars? The persons (or their heirs) who purchased them brand new, and left them behind when they fled the country? Or the current owners who picked up the pieces of them afterwards?

I wonder if the 'new' Cuban government will recognize 'proof of ownership' should someone come forward and prove ownership of it prior to 1960.

Craig

Guest AlCapone
I can well remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck as I lay on the carpet as a 14 year old listening to the radio for the latest updates on the Cuban missle crisis. I would think there will be more money to be made shipping cars to Cuba rather than from

We must be about the same age as I also endured the missile crisis. I totally agree with your philosophy about few cars being exported. But unfortunately there will be very few imported because they are a very poor impoverished country. Other that the Castro family there is very little wealth in the country. Most people exist from hand to mouth and the well to do have a few chickens. The embargo on Cuba has been devastating to that small island country. Wayne

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall some company buying up used Omni/Horizons to refurbish and send to Eastern countries after the Iron Curtain fell. I wonder if something similar will happen again, with the product going to Cuba.

The DeSoto is a '56 Diplomat, a complete series for export using the Plymouth body.

The '58 Dodge Kingsway is an export-only model using the Plymouth body and wheelbase with Dodge front clip. There were Canadian Dodge Kingsways, offered sporadically from 1940, but only through 1952.

Dodge-Kingsway-Custom-1958-2.JPG

Dodge's Canadian models for 1958 were Crusader, Regent, Mayfair and Custom Royal, plus Custom Sierra wagons.

TG

The owners of the cars are whoever owned them before the 1959 Revolution, or whoever they sold them to. Ownership of a car is legal, there just aren't any new ones sold except through government channels. Same with parts.

As for who trades with Cuba, everybody except the US. There is only one country that put an embargo on trade with Cuba (how is that working out?)

The trouble is nobody has any money except for Castro pesos and who wants those. Also in a Communist country there are no privately owned businesses, everything goes through government channels and there are no government channels for privately owned cars or parts.

I bet there are some still hidden away, not touched in 55 years.

Proof of that is all the pre-war survivors you now see in Europe. Therefore, I would not be at all surprised to see an interesting/desirable car eventually emerge from its 55-year 'tomb' in Cuba.

Craig

Hoping to get as much info before hand on a ~ one day trip to Bay of Pigs for snorkeling, leaving from Varadero. Cost, transportation, options, anything! The more info the better! Going in April. Thanks!

You're probably going to want to return again, so get the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Cuba before you go. Has all you need to know about the island, money, modes of transit, helpful phrases, detailed descriptions and pics of points of interest in all regions (including Varadero).

It seems to be the best of four I bought (Nat Geo Traveler, Frommer's, Michelin Cuba) for an upcoming trip.

If you like to have a map, try the large Cuba 1:600,000 & Varadero 1:30,000 Travel Map (International Travel Maps)

or the slightly smaller Laminated Cuba Map by Borch (English Edition). Amazon can get them to you quickly.

Just some suggestions,

TG