Need help identifying this MAGNETO

I was told it'e either for a 28 Hudson or Ford. It is not marked anywhere that I can see. It looks to me like its for a 6 cylinder.<P>If image doesn't show up, email me and I'll send you photo's (swanky_frank@hotmail.com)<P>thanks for your help!!!<P> ?id=4291504409

Guest De Soto Frank

"Swankyfrank",<P>It's not from any Ford I've ever seen, and I think it's too early to be "1928"- Hudson or otherwise.<BR>I agree, it does look like it's from a six-cylinder car-took my a few times through the pix to figure out where the high-tension leads to the spark plugs connect!<P>It looks like it might be from the late teens or early twenties; I've seen line drawings that resemble it in my 1918 edition Dykes Automobile handbook. Also, the knurled knobs on the binding posts look pretty "early".<P>Some maker's marks to look for would be "K-W"; American Bosch; Eismann; Northeast; Auto-lite. Sometimes you'll find a maker's logo or monogram inside timer covers or stamped into things like breaker-point arms.<P>Whatever it's from, it looks well-preserved.<P>Someone will probably know what it is...<p>[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: DeSoto Frank ]

You my friend have what appears to be an early Bosch D series used from approx, 1907 to 1912, note the high tension cap with the secondary lead holes in the top, if indeed it has six holes it is a 6 cyl. look on the brass frame on the bottom side, should say Bosch D4 or 6, pat. 1907.

Guest De Soto Frank

A follow-up to yesterday's post;<P>I spent about an hour looking through my 1918 Dyke's book last night, and saw a couple of drawings of similar looking mags, with the "stepped" high-tension cap, but none of those drawings had any sort of unit ID reference.<BR>However, the one section was discussing the ignition on the six cylinder Pierce, and remarked that the particular magneto was "no longer used"; which might tie-in with the 1907-1912 ID from the above post...<P>For what that's worth...

Pierce used the D6 magneto until 1912. They did not use a D6 Dual like this one as they had a separate vibrating coil system for the second set of spark plugs.<P>The serial number on the base of the magneto will identify the year. I wrote an article in the August 1992 issue of Horseless Carriage Gazette which provides the year of the magneto based on the serial number.<P>Unfortunately, this magneto has a higher centerline than the DU or ZR magnetos so will probably not mount well on a car which used the later and more popular magnetos. If I recall, these are 50mm from base and the DU is 45mm.<P>greg